• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Center Bore Wheel Measurement?

subterranean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question about the hub diameter on my truck...I'm getting hub centric rings to work with wheels that I've purchased that have a bigger hub opening and I'm getting super-conflicting information on what exactly are the hub measurements for my 1997 Ranger 2WD. Every chart and information I've come across says all Rangers in my year range have about a 70.5mm hub size (2.7") , mine is definately NOT that, it has 14x6 stock wheels on it now, and from what I'm measuring off of the center of that wheel it's about 63.9mm (2.5").....so is it that it's odd that I have a 2.5" hub size and most people have a 2.7"? My dad also has a Ranger, he has a 1998 2WD and his hubs are bigger than the ones on my truck, so I'm confused as to why so many differences. Does anybody out there have a 1997 2WD with the same hub size as me?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you sure that you even need hub centric rings? Not all aftermarket rims have to have them it's going to depend on the wheel. If you will post the wheels you are using I'm sure someone here can tell you if they are lug or hub centric. Both my 84, 86, and 99 Rangers are using lug centric wheels, I know that's what came stock on the 84 and 99. The 96 Probe is also running lug centric wheels wheels without a problem. FWIW the 84 has run both original Magnums, and the wheels off my 99 in a lug centric form with no problem. The Probe has run as set of factory 5(or 10) spoke Ranger D-hole wheels that came in 15" on newer Rangers, and is currently running the stock wheels off my 99 and hasn't had a problem with either in lug centric usage. The 99 is currently running a set of Outlaw II style wheels made by Pacer and they are lug centric, and haven't had a problem that wasn't human error.

Last edited:

subterranean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Are you sure that you even need hub centric rings? Not all aftermarket rims have to have them it's going to depend on the wheel. If you will post the wheels you are using I'm sure someone here can tell you if they are lug or hub centric.
From what I understand the wheels I'll be using are lug centric (Pro Comp Series 98 Flat Black 15x8, 3.75 BS, 5 on 4.5) but from what I'm reading you have to make sure the lug nuts are torqued just right when putting on a wheel that has a larger hub opening to ensure that you have no issues? I'm not sure if that's right or not, when I take off and put on my wheels for whatever reason, I'll make sure they are on secure but don't want to have to figure out exact torque. Is this a case of me making a big deal out of nothing? If I do not have to bother with hub centric rings I'd rather not, believe me...but if I should then I don't mind doing it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You definitely are making this far more complicated than it has to be.

Put the wheel over the studs, torque your lug nuts down to 100ft-lbs or so and forget about it (if it really bothers you, maybe recheck the tightness of the lugs after 100 miles or so, but there's no need at all whatsoever to go beyond that).

Wheels made for 5x4.5" lug patterns are NOT hub-centric.

subterranean

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Cool...thanks for the info guys...learning more and more about this stuff daily.

johnplayerson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
This is an old thread however.......... For those that have this issue. The models before the ops post in question have a 64.1 center bore. while all other models after have a 70.5 cemter bore. If you wish to fill the void changing to bigger riims you will need hub centric ring 64.1 inner diameter and 70.4 outer diameter. This makes is easy to change your tire, as without the void filled, it is extremely difficult to change tires. They are only 20 bucks for four and are worth it. They take the stress off your lugs when your driving on rough terrain. I use the aluminum ones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals