• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Charging or converting an R-12 system

dorough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a '93 2.3 Ranger. The AC system (so I'm told) holds pressure and the system just needs to be charged. It's the old R-12 system. Several (probably semi-stupid) questions: Is it still possible to get a charge with the old R-12? If so, how much $$? Or do I have the option of converting to R-134a at a reasonable price? Just wondering what my options are. Thanks in advance!

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It's possible to get an R-12 charge from a shop, but it is expensive. It's hard to buy yourself, since it's hard to find, and you technically need a 609 certification to buy/use it.

To convert to R134a, you need to discharge all the R-12 (disclaimer: it's illegal to vent it yourself), fix any leaks (ideally, you should change all the o-rings in the system. If some are too much of a PITA to get to, don't worry about it), change the accumulator, drain all the mineral oil from the compressor, add ester oil, vacuum the system down and check for leaks, and recharge with R134a.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
It's possible to get an R-12 charge from a shop, but it is expensive. It's hard to buy yourself, since it's hard to find, and you technically need a 609 certification to buy/use it.

To convert to R134a, you need to discharge all the R-12 (disclaimer: it's illegal to vent it yourself), fix any leaks (ideally, you should change all the o-rings in the system. If some are too much of a PITA to get to, don't worry about it), change the accumulator, drain all the mineral oil from the compressor, add ester oil, vacuum the system down and check for leaks, and recharge with R134a.
What this guy said. I'd personally convert to R-134a as R-12 is getting harder to find and getting more expensive.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I converted my '90 to R-134a almost 4 years ago and it's been working great. I did replace the compressor and used PAG oil (#46), though if your existing compressor is in good shape (and does not leak), this shouldn't be absolutely necessary.
I don't recall having any issues getting to and replacing all the o-rings in the system.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I personally would also look at swapping the hoses on the system if you are doing the swap. The head pressures on 134 are higher then R12. R134 systems were originally done with barrier style hoses as supposedly the particles on the 134 is finer then that of R12.
Performance wise if done correctly you will feel no difference between the 2 systems. I have had a bunch of people claim R134 does not cool as well. I have played with the system on my truck and I coul dget it down to blowing out of the vents at 35 deg f. So 134 performs just fine. it is all about the prep time you put into the job and doing it right the first time out.

dorough

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The fella I bought it from said he checked the vacuum on the system after he replaced the O-ring and it held, but he didn't charge the system. So a few questions from here... 1- Won't the system lose the vacuum when I swap out the new connectors for the old ones? 2- How do I change out the accumulator? Is that an AutoZone part? 3- The seller had also put a rebuilt compressor in, so how do I determine what kind of oil it has in it? And if it has the mineral oil, how do I change it?

Sorry for all the dummy questions... Once again I'm just trying to learn something new and save a buck.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you disconnect any AC lines or remove any component, you will lose all vacuum. Installing the service port adaptors doesn't require disconnecting anything, but replacing the accumulator does. You can get an accumulator at any parts store. Pretty much all the oil is going to be in the compressor and the accumulator, so if you replace the accumulator and drain whatever's in the compressor, you can start fresh. Remove the compressor and stand it on it's end and let the oil drain out. Spin the clutch as you do this. When it's empty, add about 3 oz of Ester oil. Spin the clutch by hand again to let the oil get distributed in the compressor. Reinstall it in the truck and try not to let any oil spill out. Pour the rest of the oil in the new accumulator. The total oil capacity is 7 oz, so I would pour about 3 oz in the compressor, and 4 oz in the accumulator.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I still have a SEALED 30# can of R12 as well as several 12oz and 16oz cans

I have no clue what I'd use it for because all my vehicles have been set-up for R134 already...

AD

Elwood "C"

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I still have a SEALED 30# can of R12 as well as several 12oz and 16oz cans

I have no clue what I'd use it for because all my vehicles have been set-up for R134 already...

AD
Hey! You still got any of that R-12 around? I've got a perfectly good system [if I can find my leak] & I REALLY don't want to refit for 134a on my 400K {& counting} '90.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals