• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy 63 & 64 Inch Leaf Spring Clarifications....

Needles929

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Chevy 64 swap front moved forward 6 in rear flipped w/ Kartek 1.5 drop hanger moved back , with chevy 3+1 (over load) I got 3.25 lift
I know it's an old post and topic, but some of us are new so here goes...

You look to have used stock Chevy shackles and the springs don't appear to be re-arched. Is that correct?

Needles929

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Bringing this back to life!

This thread is way old but I did have a few questions and some input for maybe some of the newer members.

I am getting ready to do this mod on my 99' Ext Cab 4x4 with the RCD coilover lift and 3" body lift.

I have the reverse drop shackles already at home but no springs or shackles yet. Looking at the very last example above was most visually helpful, seeing is how Photobucket has its issues as of late. I don't recall seeing many people moving the rear shackle mount back. Maybe I missed something in all the pages on this.

Just to be clear, I am looking to do the 64 with reverse shackles for travel. I think that is where many got very confused on this thread. Right side up mount and longer shackle = all lift. Upside down mount and longer shackle = some lower and some lift but mainly function.

Do the rear mounts need to be moved back? or this done mainly to correct angles and such?

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When the do the shackle flip, you gain as much travel. You only need to move the front shackle because the leaf to axle mount is off center and lines up correctly with your truck. You can gain lift by not flipping the shackle but you will loose travel. You can check this all out in the tech section of this site.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Needles929

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
When the do the shackle flip, you gain as much travel. You only need to move the front shackle because the leaf to axle mount is off center and lines up correctly with your truck. You can gain lift by not flipping the shackle but you will loose travel. You can check this all out in the tech section of this site.

I did notice that in the tech article pictures that some rear mounts are just flipped and bolted back into the stock location. Some are bolted at the very back of the frame.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you use the stock shackle hanger and bell tech 7200 hangers you will gain a bunch of travel and they say no lift. I have some Chevy leafs in my garage for later down the road. I will use kartek shackle hangers and heavy duty shackles from one of the off road suppliers.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On my race truck I moved the front mount forward the recommended 6"; the mount rear hole and the frame front hole now line up. At the rear I tried leaving the frame mount in the stock location and didn't like the angle of the spring to the shackle. I moved the frame mount back about an 1.5" and got the angle I was looking for. The angle of the spring and shackle are about 90 degrees now.

Needles929

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
On my race truck I moved the front mount forward the recommended 6"; the mount rear hole and the frame front hole now line up. At the rear I tried leaving the frame mount in the stock location and didn't like the angle of the spring to the shackle. I moved the frame mount back about an 1.5" and got the angle I was looking for. The angle of the spring and shackle are about 90 degrees now.
Perfect! That is what I thought too looking at it last night. Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals