• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chevy 63 & 64 Inch Leaf Spring Clarifications....

59flatbedford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well ok im hoping to get about 4 inches of lift in the front and i want to do the flipped shackle on the rear. I was thinking about getting a 4 inch lift spring from deaver and flip the shackles and use the belltech shackles. any ideal how level this will sit.

1987rangerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok so there are many chevs around here and all i can find in measurements is 55" springs in 2wds. how do you go about measuring them??? run bolt eye to eye or follow the bend in the spring???? i no the answer is probably here somewhere but im not seeing it:icon_confused:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
ok so there are many chevs around here and all i can find in measurements is 55" springs in 2wds. how do you go about measuring them??? run bolt eye to eye or follow the bend in the spring???? i no the answer is probably here somewhere but im not seeing it:icon_confused:
eye to eye. Should be 88- mid 90's Chevy's

Deviousfred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This may be a stupid question but I figured I would ask anyway. Has any one used or though of using stock Chevy leafs for a SAS? Would they be too soft for the extra weight of a motor? COuld this be cured by adding leafs to the pack? Trying to build a weekend beater without breaking the bank that can be fixed easily when it breaks.

Fred

tbars

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
...Got one for ya...

...I had stock ranger springs, added 2" shackles, removed 2" block and added a Explorer rear end with 1" welded in block then springs flattened out...In essence it's flexy but I lost 1"-1 1/2" of height and have fender rub flexing...

...If I just swapped in any old chevy 63" springs would I gain this back???..I ask as I found a set for $75 bucks...(to much $$$..???)

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
...Got one for ya...

...I had stock ranger springs, added 2" shackles, removed 2" block and added a Explorer rear end with 1" welded in block then springs flattened out...In essence it's flexy but I lost 1"-1 1/2" of height and have fender rub flexing...

...If I just swapped in any old chevy 63" springs would I gain this back???..I ask as I found a set for $75 bucks...(to much $$$..???)
With a reg cab and the welded on blocks and lift shackles you will proably have 5" lift.

tbars

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
...Thanks...That is what I was hoping for...With that and my old stock shackles, this will allow me different height options for different set ups...:)

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm starting to piece together the parts for my 64" spring swap and shackle flip for my short course off road race truck. I'm wondering about the bushing; from spring to rear shackle. It looks like there will be limited movement because the outside is an interference fit into the spring and the inner part of the bushing is clamped to the shackle. How do you get more droop or is the rubber part that flexible? I don't have any experience with this, I ASSumed that the shackle portion would pivot quite freely. Can anyone explain this to me. Or is this one of those racing secrets?
Thanks,
Richard

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I'm starting to piece together the parts for my 64" spring swap and shackle flip for my short course off road race truck. I'm wondering about the bushing; from spring to rear shackle. It looks like there will be limited movement because the outside is an interference fit into the spring and the inner part of the bushing is clamped to the shackle. How do you get more droop or is the rubber part that flexible? I don't have any experience with this, I ASSumed that the shackle portion would pivot quite freely. Can anyone explain this to me. Or is this one of those racing secrets?
Thanks,
Richard
I remember when I put Chevy lowering shackles on mine, the new shackle had a thicker tube where the bushing is pressed in, it just rubbed at the very edges, so I just took a grinder and beveled the edges and that took care of it. I will snap a picture tomorrow if I remember.

-PlumCrazy

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i used a nylon lock nut and just tightened it until it touched

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
I tightened mine right up, and it still droops very easily.

DanjaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i want to this swap for travel but i want to know(1) how much travel i will get roughly with 7-9in shackles and rearched springs(2) i know i asked this before in a forum but could i run the hanger sideways 90degrees instead of upside down for more droop with it chopped a little to allow bump.?? just my young brain thinking how to get the most bang for my buck for my truck

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another question. I am going to flip my shackle and want to regain some height without re arching the 64" springs to much. I could put square stock under the frame and be able to lower the stock shackle that way or.... where can I find [on line, I'll check Ford in the morn.] a spring shackle mount for a '97 f-150. It looks like that mount would work, it's the same 1 1/2" out from the frame and the pivot point is 3 1/2" below the frame..... or is there any other possible donors for this swap? Can someone check there fullsize truck for me?
I also checked a '77 f-150, it's pivot point was about 3/4" below the frame.
The stock Ranger shackle mount looks like it would be above the bottom of the frame still when flipped.

Richard

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals