• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Chimes...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
A friend gave me a set of chimes that were pretty beat up and I've been meaning to fix them up. I managed to rehang them from the original configuration and cleaned up the melted plastic that was on them...lol

Like I said, they were beat up.

Today I got them rehung in their original (proper) order and they sound pretty good. I didn't change anything even though I found out the ideal hang point was supposed to depend on their length as this will affect their vibration and sound.

In the process I found an interesting site that shows pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about how to build chimes for the best sound and application. For those who are not familiar, the notes they give off can be used for healing and meditation...not that I believe in that stuff...but I've found a few sites on that as well...

Anyone interested can view and even download the patterns and information for their own use.

http://leehite.org/Chimes.htm

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
So, after many hours of planning, buying items that didn't work the way I thought they would and finally getting them assembly the way I wanted...I've managed to create the worlds first set of silent wind chimes. :icon_confused:

They were not intended as such but it appears that I may need gale force winds to get the pipes to bang into each other to produce any sound....at which point I would probably be in the bathroom hoping any flying objects don't manage to find a direct path to my hiding spot. :annoyed:

Back to the drawing board...:dunno:

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
That website hurt my brain. Maybe the sounds are soothing but getting there looks far to complicated.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Haha...I had to spend some time reading and cross referencing but I got the basics...figuring out the actual notes and how to achieve them would take a few more rounds of it and more cross referencing...but it is interesting.

I've always struggled with math and music...and fuel injection for that matter...:) but I've been persistent and have managed to gain a bit of ground in some areas that eluded me before...so I feel better.

However, having blathered on more, in my case it is just a matter of getting the tubes closer together...I somehow managed to use the right material to restrict movement and placed the tubes just far enough apart that even if they get a bit of wind they sort of move together instead of interacting and striking each other to produce the sound...

This, by the way, is not one of those designs that uses a striker in the centre like most of the ones on the website show...no, these are all hanging in a single line...and I've been thinking of simply adding a bunch of marbles on strings...but they tend to get tangled so I have to figure something else out...

Dang....at least my neighbor is happy...he hates the sound...:)

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, no musical or math genes here. Wish there were. I enjoy quiet, peaceful sounds these days like the wind in the trees, songbirds, small frogs and such. Enjoyed the sound of crickets growing up but we don't have any up here.

Think I would enjoy some mellow noted wind chimes and could use a good hobby. Might try my hand at it.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What? No arctic crickets after all these years of evolution? :)l...

The friend who gave me this set was dabbling in music and "vibes" so maybe these were a bit harsh for her tastes. I like them because they sound similar to church bells...they also are light enough that they might help to keep birds away from the windows.

Worth looking into for sure and I was intending to spend a bit more time reading the information and going over the math to determine what notes are produced.

Apparently, certain tones of vibrations can be very disturbing to human bodies on the cellular level. I watched a program a while ago that showed what frequencies our world resonates at and it was pretty interesting. Some toxic elements resonate at very disturbing frequencies and the scientist was saying there was much more to this than western medicine ascribes.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Very interesting stuff. The bird angle may be worth looking at. We have suicides almost daily and not just small birds either. Spruce hens (grouse) have been hitting the windows and the house for the last 3 years. How do you not see a house?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I used to have them fly into my windows and was finding about one a week at migration times (in and out). I remember reading something on here about putting up old CD's to reflect light that would warn them of the danger. Can't remember how that turned out but I've been hanging crystals in my windows that reflect well in the sun.

Cloudy days need something that moves often and there is usually wind where I am now...seniors off gassing...lol

A small set works better but they make higher and lighter tones...not my preference.

I'm in a lower unit now that is not on a flight path so I rarely even see birds. It doesn't hurt to have something hanging up out there regardless...I think these ones scare the squirrels but it may be that I haven't been feeding them lately...we have a "no feeding" policy in effect...which I don't mind so much...I can always go to the park to fee the strays.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I tried the spinning cd's and they didn't help at all. I just ordered 4 8" x 16" reflective/ spinning owls to try. Probably worthless but worth a try. Getting soft in my old age and hate the mayhem.

My window is 48x72 and has the thinnest glass I've ever seen. I have seen the glass bow...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That might help. I've heard that owl statues in your yard will keep small critters away...the last place I was living had racoons crawling around at night and they'd leave little piles of their skat on the landlady's deck...lol

I didn't stick around to deal with that one but I would have liked the challenge.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Tried the owl statue. The birds pecked the fake eyes out and would take a spin on the rotating head. They had great fun but weren't afraid.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You should visit Casey Illinois. home of the largest windchime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhzDeFZJ8mw

AJ
Awesome! Never seen a chime that large...

I will have to have a listen to that later when my ears are on...

Between the thickness, diameter, and length of the pipe and where the hang point is I'd say it probably sounds amazing...and carries for quite a distance

Tried the owl statue. The birds pecked the fake eyes out and would take a spin on the rotating head. They had great fun but weren't afraid.
:icon_rofl: sounds like some of my efforts at squirrel control. I put some "squirrel be gone" out once because they were harassing the birds and the little varmints waited until it rained and ate it after it was washed off...

I was thinking of designing something involving motion sensors, bright lights, loud music, and maybe some moving parts like bicycle wheels with a plastic flapper on the spokes but didn't manage to get things going. Set it on a timer so it wouldn't attract unwanted attention from bylaw enforcement...lol

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Wowza! When our squirrels get a little mean or stingy, they get a lead pill. Not a good option in the city. Not thinking I could stomach city life as yet but these winters are sure wearing me down. Two days until Spring and it's still -23. Still enjoying a quiet, peaceful life here though.

If you need a little peace and quiet please take a gander at the wife's photos on flickr at Alaskan Wilderness Photography. This is my life and is very calming. I think a nice mellow wind chime would be a nice fit.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I forgot about your recommendation of the Alaska Wilderness Photography and just searched on it...awesome shots...:)

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals