• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Climate control stuck in defrost/floor position

Mike Tonon

When I turn the knob on, it doesn’t matter which position I put it in, it stays on defrost/floor. Is it a cable? Is an actuator?

Thanks

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have a busted vacuum line. Look under the hood of your truck. You will see a black round vacuum canister. Should have 2 lines going to it. Trace the red vacuum hose that leads into it. You should find a split or a break somewhere. Just piece in a section of rubber line. And you’ll be all set

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If it helps any here is the vacuum line diagram and control setting chart. Sorry they are pics from the manual I couldn't scan them.
Screenshot_20190331-180205_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190331-180149_Photo Editor.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Tonon

You know... I just had the truck undercoated. I wonder if they broke something. I’ll look for that tomorrow. Thank you

Actually, I just checked. There were two vacuum lines, loose. Down near the passenger frame rail. More toward the radiator, there is this ball looking thing, that looked like it should have two vacuum lines going to it. So I stuck them on there. Still didn’t work. I flipped them and still nothing. What should I do next? I didn’t see any other loose vacuum lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Tonon

Never mind, I started my engine this morning and it worked. I looked in my repair manual and it said that the lines are not interchangeable, so since it worked I ASSUME I put them in the correct places. Anyways, thanks for the help.

tdd5024

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Resurrecting this post from the dead since I am having the same issue. My vacuum line to the engine snapped in the middle and I've been looking for a replacement all over the internet the past two days. Have not had any luck so far. Anyone have any idea for where to find the right size vacuum line to fit a 97 4.0?

Attachments

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Any chain auto parts store should have various rubber fittings. All you need is a coupler with the same (1/8"?) opening on both sides.

tdd5024

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
fastpakr, thanks for the speedy reply. Yes, I do think 1/8" should work fine. My only concern was that the ends of the line have some bulk to them and may have other components that a straight line might not have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals