• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch kit compatibility 94-99

flat-hammershaft

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I currently own a manual 1994 2.3l and saw a 1999 2.5l for sale, same color, cleaner interior, about the same mileage (im suspicious the clutch is about to be toasted on the sellers) Ive looked at the clutches on rockauto and they do not look very similiar, but ive also seen that the transmission designation is the same (M5R1) Feel like im answering my own question, but a clutch from a 1994 wouldnt fit in a 1999, would it? Reason i ask is because i have a freshie clutch kit that i bought for some reason for my current truck. Hasnt needed it since i bought it (and tomorrow it will break) but if i got this truck - i just want to see if itll fit, if not id just give it to whomever buys my truck.. TIA

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The main difference in clutch kits is the slave cylinder - if included - the quick connect is different on some. There are variations in flywheels as well, also, if included. In general though the big parts are sometimes interchangeable - clutch disc and pressure plate anyway. I think you would be pretty safe assuming that the clutch you have would fit the '99.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The 2.5 Lima is based off the 2.3 Lima block. So chances are very good that the clutch is the same as long as the transmission is the same model. I would take the "trust but verify" approach. Look up the part number for the 1994 and compare it to the part number for the 1999. Motorcraft would be ideal but as long as the manufacturer is the same between the two, the part number should match if the 1999 uses the same clutch as the 1994.

As mentioned above, I could check the connection between the slave cylinder and the master cylinder is the same if you are getting an all in one kit. (Changing the slave cylinder while you're there is not a horrible idea since you have to drop the transmission to change it). If in doubt, get the whole master and slave cylinder system in a kit that has already been bench bled. It will make sure the connection is the same and make installation a lot easier. You'll still need to gravity bleed the system once it's all installed but that is easy. Just make sure you do not let the master cylinder reservoir run dry or you'll have to bench bleed the master cylinder again and the only reliable way to to that is outside of the truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals