• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CNG conversion

CrimsonEclipse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
What are the consequences for a CNG conversion?
Like price, additional engine wear, etc.

Does it damage components like sensors and catalytic converters or rings and valves?
What about mileage?

Thanks

CE

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you find a set up for a fuel injected vehicle, let me know. We had a dual-fuel set-up on my Grandfather's 74 F-600, and it was great!

He got good mileage and power, but almost no wear on the engine.

If I could find a retro-fit for the 2.9, I'd be all over it.

-zz

847alexc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Cng

So I looked into this a couple of months ago for my 2005 ranger and heres the deal.

The CNG is cheaper, about half the price of gas, and cleaner burning. However, pound for pound it has less power. Now, the CNG is actually ideal for an internal combustion engine because it is already gaseous, but the retro fit is expensive. Most often the CNG fords I see are cabs and busses that are fleet vehicles expecting 1,000,000 miles of service, which will eventually pay for the conversion through fuel cost savings.

The conversion involves new injectors, fuel line, fittings, and most expensive is the tank. The company I found on the web wanted to charge between 5,000 to 8,000 dollars! Depending on tank size. The reason is that unlike LP propane, CNG is a highly compressed gas, like 5,000 psi in the tank! You can fill up at your house though from 60 psi line pressure using a special compressor. But remember that those compressors use electricity and money to operate as well.

in the end, it won't be efficient (cost effective) for the average joe to run CNG until the car companies build them that way, though some states have tax credits for a couple of thousand dollars to offset the cost.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well done

Thanks for that summary. Very complete and to the point. I've considered looking into CNG - drove a police vehicle for a year or so once with a conversion. Couldn't tell the difference. The conversion price is always the stumbling block. The only way those police vehicles were converted was with a govt grant. It never made a cost savings and the emissions benefits are minimal.

CrimsonEclipse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
yeah, I've used a 2500psi system with a steel tank we called 'the bomb' but a 5000psi tank would likely need to be carbon fiber.

Prices will fall, but only with scale, meaning, when millions are made.

I've been pondering an alternative propulsion system for my B2300 but it always comes at a price. Electric conversion with 100 miles range is at least $15k and a CNG would run $8-12k. I have had time to calculate the ROI (return on investment) for the CNG but it would be 3 years at $5/gal for fuel or 4-5 years at $3.50/gal.

It's just not worth it...yet.

When battery tech increase or CNG conversion kits go down in price, then I'll make a decision.

Last I checked, the government allows a $2k or $4k refund on alternative fuel vehicles.

CE

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd really like to look further into the hydrogen fuel thing - not the Mason jar and welding rod thing - real hydrogen fuel. But that ROI thing rears it's ugly head again. BTW - if you want a copy of that "kit" they sell everywhere, I'll send you mine. Or their still may be a guy on ebay selling an electronic copy for $2. It at least explains from lower end concepts.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
We are looking at converting our our farm dump truck over to CNG, however, we only pay head price for the gas. And much (if not all) of our electrical power is going to be coming from a NG genset soon.... Too much $$$ to get 3 phase to the farm. The wells are on the farm, so that works out well too.

sapo678

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
diesel 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hi buddies! Here it is common to have rangers and all types of SUVs converted into GNC. I have 2 rangers with the 4.0 engines running with the system. They are able to run an average of 11 km/m3. The total capacity of the 2 tanks I have in each truck are around 43m3. The GNC price here is 65% of the gas, but the 4.0 would only run 7km/l. Also, I've tried ethanol/gas (70/30), and it runs fine with no mods, with and average mileage around 4km/l. By the way, I'm from Brazil.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You are lucky in Brazil. Here we have all sorts of stupid government (EPA) regulations that make the CNG conversion much more expensive. From what I have heard, in Brazil and other less regulated countries, a safe CNG conversion can be done for $3-4000.

I looked heavily into CNG conversions 2 years ago, because in Utah, CNG is less than a dollar a gallon (GGE actually).

I run ethanol, but not because it's cheaper than gas. I run it because it's cheaper than race gas.

KyleTay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I want to revive this old thread as it is something I will be doing soon

http://www.ewsews.com/cngprices.html

The kits are very reasonably priced and the tanks are not too bad when they are purchase used.

foozil747

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have installed a couple of the EWS kits and they run. For the price and the function it is hard to beat. There are some newer injection kits that are available now for a little more money, but they aren't too much more complicated than the venturi kits as far as installation goes and their programming has come leaps and bounds so it is easy enough for a semi savy garage mechanic to do it them selves. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions or if you are seriously considering. I don't sell the kits but i have installed 9 so far and they run awesome.

http://www.cngconversionkitsinfo.com/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals