• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coleman Liquid Fuel

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Many years ago I bought a propane adapter for my Coleman stove. I liked it and it was easy to use. I eventually went back to white gas because it used too much propane. I now go out for 2 week trips off-road and never have to fill up the white gas tank. I do fill it before trips and carry white gas with me just in case I run out but have not yet.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Had a good weekend of shopping...

We were going to visit a friend in Lincoln and found a garage sale on the way. Since @fastpakr thinks my stove is too big I snatched up one of those little lunar lander looking super small/compact backpacking stoves. Yep, for $2

Made 5-97. They REALLY cheapened up the pump thing. I suppose it still works but I like the metal clip better than the plastic twist lock thing, I see the new ones are still like this. I don't know what I am going to do with it but for two bucks it looks like fun. I like how we have to have an arrow pointing to the pump...

And for a whopping $3 I snagged a user lantern that I don't have to worry about getting scratched. A 4-76 220J so it isn't a model I already have too. It is kind of sooted up, it might need some work.

Well that got me in the mood so I got to looking on facebook marketplace and found this:

2-85 288 CL2. They had kinda started going downhill then (although they got a lot cheaper made after this) but it was made the same year and month as my Ranger which is neat. And it might have been used once, it is like brand new. They were asking $20 but took $15.

Case is period too, I think January of '85.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Lol - I didn't know I thought your stove was too big? Either way, good find. I'm partial to the MSR stuff but no complaints about a Coleman.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You had mentioned weight. I referenced that tongue in cheek because I think for backpacking the 400B is still pretty big/bulky/heavy compared to newer skeletal backpacking stoves.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I dont know how Coleman is still in business. Everyone on earth owns those stoves and lanterns but I don't think anyone has ever had to replace one...damn things are like tooth brushes, one lasts forever and just gets handed down from generation to generation. mine are both from the mid 70's and still work as good as new. I keep a stockpile of mantles and leather rings, the only parts that ever need to be replaced.

And that white gas can outlast the containers they put it in, literally! I picked up a old rusty can of it that was sitting on the ground in my shed for god knows how long. The bottom of the can fell off but the fuel was still plenty flammable.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I don't think anyone has ever had to replace one...damn things are like tooth brushes, one lasts forever and just gets handed down from generation to generation.
im-shocked-shocked-5c636f.jpg

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My dad was an outdoors man too, loved fishing, hunting, camping, boating, hiking, and traveling, just to name a few. I can't possibly count the times we got loaded up at the weekend, stuffed into the back of a station wagon on blankets and driven through the night halfway across the state(the Texas one) and woke up at daylight to the sound of lake swells on the bank and dad cranking up the Coleman stove, fishing all day, and going to sleep that night to a Coleman lantern slowly fading away.

Years later I was in TN on a new job, in a new town, and working on getting a place fixed up at night, even before getting the water and electricity turned on. After work I took off to the outskirts of town to a Walmart hoping to get rigged up with some lighting and such. Lo and behold, they had a huge package of Coleman flashlights, i think about 10 of them, and i bought the name, this was early to mid 90s.

After getting back across town again through some awful traffic and opening that particular package I was appalled at what I discovered, the most pathetic excuse of a product I had ever encountered. Coleman had sold their name for money to a Chinese firm, who had turned it into something of a scam. The money it had cost was not so important to me then, but the next evening after work i again took the long congested drive across town once more, this time to unload the poor excuse of a product back on the same store where it had came from, Walmart, which had also recently changed hands

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont know how Coleman is still in business. Everyone on earth owns those stoves and lanterns but I don't think anyone has ever had to replace one...damn things are like tooth brushes, one lasts forever and just gets handed down from generation to generation. mine are both from the mid 70's and still work as good as new. I keep a stockpile of mantles and leather rings, the only parts that ever need to be replaced.

And that white gas can outlast the containers they put it in, literally! I picked up a old rusty can of it that was sitting on the ground in my shed for god knows how long. The bottom of the can fell off but the fuel was still plenty flammable.
Agreed.

A lot of it is pretty cheap too which can't help either. I have accumulated two stoves and four lanterns so far. In reality I have yet to approach half the cost of a single new lantern.

After getting back across town again through some awful traffic and opening that particular package I was appalled at what I discovered, the most pathetic excuse of a product I had ever encountered. Coleman had sold their name for money to a Chinese firm, who had turned it into something of a scam. The money it had cost was not so important to me then, but the next evening after work i again took the long congested drive across town once more, this time to unload the poor excuse of a product back on the same store where it had came from, Walmart, which had also recently changed hands
Some of their side venture stuff is kinda on the cheap side. I have seen their flashlights but I haven't tried one.

They still make lanterns in the US though which is kinda cool:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I still have a big red metal Coleman cooler from the 70's. The thing is indestructable. I don't think I've seen anything they've made in the last 20 years that I'd consider buying...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Great scores!

I recently picked up another 220 lantern... a 220F, I think, needed a globe and a good cleaning but it works well now. Paid $7 for that one.

Also scored a Dual Fuel #533 stove for $10, a Peak-1 #576 stove for $20, and a really nice dual fuel lantern for $20. Best deal was the lantern as it came with a super cool clam shell case, about 10 packs of mantles, extra pumps, and some stove parts.

I sure like the old Coleman stuff better too. The newer stoves and lanterns I've had seem really cheap... and for what they go for new, they should be built like tanks. I especially do not like the new rubber pumps - junk! I guess that's why I have so much old, used equipment...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clam shell cases are cool, I have yet to sneak up on one of those.

I think you can change the rubber cups to leather ones? My 400B has a rubber one and it is weak.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the two project ones both make fire anyway.

What is that hissing noise?

It was gusty but it was trying. Lots of yellow flame but it had no chance of heating the generator with the wind and no globe. It actually smelled like burning old gas, like unleaded kind of gas. Gonna put fresh fuel in it before the next run, it doesn't smell like normal gas in the fount though, so maybe it has turned.

Then I noticed like smoke coming out of the collar. I think it was actually fuel vapor but that could explain the crispiness around the collar. That was a mission kill, I turned it off after that.

Also got moist around the packing nut for the valve.

Ok, so that one is going to need the burner frame taken off and the lower plumbing checked out. The air tubes will be easy to check for obstructions at that point too.

Stove ran a little yellow, better on simmer than full blast. Stupid kitten wanted to play with it too. I think it needs taken apart and cleaned too.

Tried it again after the wind went down. Did the same but really pretty in the dark on simmer:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
About half of the stoves and lanterns I've gotten have had loose fittings. In some cases almost completely unscrewed like someone was messing with them before. Found quite a few leaks that way, right away. SOP for me now is to make sure everything's tight now before firing up a new piece.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I should have done more, especially with the lantern.

Tore the stove down, nothing wrong with it. Going to clean the regulator and try it again in calmer wind conditions.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You know what's really fun... fill one of those stoves with gasoline instead of naphtha.

Nice orange ball of fire and gasoline everywhere. Ahhhhhh good times.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals