• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Compression Specifications?

srisitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm measuring the compression on a 91 ranger. I've been looking for spec information for this engine to compare the readings to, and it's been surprisingly difficult to find. All I've found just states what the cylinders should read in comparison to one another, not the general psi range the cylinders should be within individually. I've been looking online and in a Chilton manual and found nothing. I'm used to working on old honda motorcycles, where these values are clearly given as an acceptable range (i.e 160-190 psi), alongside what the cylinders should read in relation to one another. Am I missing something here? Is the individual compression of each cylinder not relevant for some reason?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wouldn't it be barometric pressure times compression ratio?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm pretty sure Floored nailed it...

So at sea level... 14.7 psi atmospheric pressure

Compression ratio... cylinder volume at BDC vs. TDC... lets use 8.5:1

14.7 x 8.5 = 124.95. So in a perfect world... the spec would be 125 psi. Lets remember... the sealing surfaces degrade the first time the engine rolls over. So your perfect world spec is at best a moving target.

Probably more important is the comparison of the readings between cylinders... and how the test was run to gather your compression data. Be leery of some of the stuff you see on youtube... it seems like everyone wants to be an internet star these days and feels the need to make these videos with their new tool and simply have no damn clue.

The proper way to run the test is well documented but here is how I do it..

Remove ALL spark plugs. This ensures that all cylinders are at the same free wheeling cranking speed.

Disable fuel system.

Block the throttle to WOT.

Install a battery charger... This ensures the battery doesn't degrade between the first cylinder and the last.

Ensure your tester is tight and sealed.

Crank engine over 4 complete cycles. Document reading. Repeat this for the remainder of cylinders.

You can change the number of cycles you crank the engine over to get your reading... just ensure you use the same number of cycles on all cylinders.

That will tell you the mechanical health of your engine. You can also run the test wet... adding a squirt of oil in the cylinder. If the reading goes up wet... chances are it's a lower end issue. If the reading doesn't change wet... probably a top end issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals