• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

compressor doesn't shut off now.

rearden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I redid the AC last year and replaced the compressor, 2 hoses, condensor, dryer and orifice tube. The only parts I didn't replace were the evaporator and one hose. But the AC really didn't put out and it has gotten worse recently. It is a little better than just the fan but not much; the compressor kicks on and off.

Yesterday I bought a can of R134a and put my low side gauge on. The pressure on the low side would go from 30psi to much higher depending if the compressor had kicked in. I added 1 can. Now the air coming out is quite cool, but the compressor does not shut off. The low side gauge reads a steady 35psi.

1. Do I need to add another can?
2. Have I over filled it?
3. It is totally hosed and I wasted the $700 I spent on it last year.

rearden

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's PROBABLY overcharged but you really can't tell without a nigh side reading.

Take this thing to a shop. You can do a lot of damage to it and you.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, sounds like you have a little too much freon in there. With the system running put your hand on the condeser. If it's too hot to keep your hand on there, you need to remove some freon. If you can keep your hand on there and the sysem cools well, don't worry about it.

If you have a little bit of an overcharge, the system just becomes less efficient and burns up more horsepower. If you have a moderate overcharge, it's even less efficient, the condesor core gets really hot, and the high side might get high enough to cut out the compressor occasionally. Beyond that the compressor wouid be cutting out frequently, the AC wouldn't cool, and you'd destroy the compressor after a while.

If you're going to do AC work, get a set of manifold gauges. You can work more efficiently, plus you'll have peace of mind knowing exactly what's going on in the system. Having only a low-side gauge leaves you doing a lot of voodoo and guessowrk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals