• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

computer problems?

fordalltheway

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
This morning I started my 1999 ranger v6 (3.8 I believe) and the ABS brake light was on. I drove it a little while and the transmission starting to shift poorly and the OD light started to flash. Next the check engine light came on and the speedometer went to 0 even though I was moving. The engine still ran normally though. Does this sound like the computer is fried? Maybe a fuse? Is there only one computer right on the center of the firewall with a big right angle connector? If I got a computer from a junk yard would I need to do anything or just plug it in and go?

Thanks in advance.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me like either the sensor or the ring in the rear axle went caput. The speedometer and the RABS are part of the same sensor that is located in the rear axle.

If it went out the ABS light would come on and the speedo would go out and that would trip the transmission and set off the check engine light.

Mine did the same thing except I have a manual transmission so it ran just fine but the ABS came on and the speedo would jump around a little. All I did was take the sensor out and clean it off and had to drain the wire protector cover because it was fill of water.

fordalltheway

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't think about the rear axle sensor. The ABS light was on before I even moved. Would a bad sensor still cause the ABS light to come on even at rest? Of course the tachometer frozen at 3K as well.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't know but i does sound like somethings mesed up, I don't think the tach has anything to do with the ABS but I would still start with that sensor as its easy to pull and clean and cheaper to replace then anything else.

Also stop by a parts store and borrow a code reader and see if you can't figure out if its something else.

fordalltheway

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You sir were 100% correct. Got a new speed sensor and in about 5 minutes all the little lights went off and it drives normally again. That was the entire problem. I was thinking the worst. I guess the PCM was confused becuase it didn't know how fast it was going.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals