• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computer Relearning

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey so I finally got a new battery in my truck after the old one crapped out. But it had been sitting for a while and I took the battery out as it wasn't holding any charge and got a new one at Sears so it probably spent 3 hours un hooked while I did other things. I got it hooked up and started it and it ran rough which I expected then smoothed out, but it skips a beat when i start it up. How long does it take the computer to relearn the engine paramaters and what not? I let it Idle for about 15 minutes, should I drive it around for a while?

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That seems odd that it would do that... This weekend I pulled a 99 Buick out of a fence row where it had been for 2 years, put a new battery in, and it started right up and ran how it should.

JM2C.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go drive it a while and see what happens. It's possible that you developed other issues while it sat. When I had to put a new computer in my truck it wouldn't start and wouldn't run. I had to fuss with the throttle and hold the gas down to keep it running for a good 5 minutes before it would even idle by itself, and it idled poorly for a while. It wouldn't fully relearn everything until I drove it.

sholzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Back in the spring I reset my computer and it took about 50 miles of driving before it seemed to calm down. 2 weeks ago I replaced my battery and didn't noticed anything different when I drove it. Both times the battery was disconnected for about 30 minutes each.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm. well I know theres a relearn time for these trucks as my friends 97 f150 needed it after we had his battery out. He ran it for like 20 minutes then drove it for about 5 miles.

It only sat for 2 days but the battery was frozen and would not put any power out. Plus the truck runs great once its started up its just got a little hiccup at the start like the timing is slightly off then it adjusts. I'll take it for a drive later and see whats up.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
apparentyl ull need 5 complete cyles. that is 5 cold startups and drives

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm. well I know theres a relearn time for these trucks as my friends 97 f150 needed it after we had his battery out. He ran it for like 20 minutes then drove it for about 5 miles.

It only sat for 2 days but the battery was frozen and would not put any power out. Plus the truck runs great once its started up its just got a little hiccup at the start like the timing is slightly off then it adjusts. I'll take it for a drive later and see whats up.
My '02 F-150 was weird after I reset the computer when I did my intake mod.

Shifted strange for a while until it got used to me, was really mushy at a low RPM.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals