• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Converting electric tcase to manual (NOT swap!)

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
i was wondering if any one knows if you can take the electric shift motor off the transfer case and put in a manual level? i dont know if you can but it just seems like a good idea since fords have such a problem with them. i guess really wondering if anybody makes a kit or if you can swap it out with a level from somthing else. thanks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

no one makes a kit. rigging something up has been discussed many times..but its usually easier (and cheaper) just to replace the transfer case with a manual shift case.

That would be a somewhat impressive piece of mechanical engineering.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cable & pulley using a return spring.
Have a lever that pulls the cable, pulley unwinds, t-case is shifted to 4wd. Push lever back, return spring rewinds the cable, returning the case to 2WD.

(yeah, I guess that would take a bit engineering to pull off lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to take into account that 4hi is closer to 2hi than 4lo is to 4hi.

daVinci would have had a grand time with this, at least for a few hours.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

manual t-cases have been available from the rangers birth in '83 until at least '98 (not sure if its an option on the newer trucks). the same cases are used in the explorers, BII's, and rangers.

I had looked into this also on my 87, and I went the Manual X-fer route.

My thinking was to stick a Deep Well Socket on the Selector Shaft on Back of x-fer case. Weld a 5" bar of Metal to the Top of the socket hanging down to the 4 Oclock postion Drill a Hole in the end of this Bar and then run a Rod out to the Driver Side Frame Rail. With a Knob on the end of the Rod and have it either Through the Frame Rail or hung underneath the frame Rail

Your in 2wd and Need to Shift to 4wd, Have to Get out of truck Reach down to the Knob on the End of the Rod and Pull it out 4-6" that will Rotate the Selector to 4wd and Hop back in the truck and 4wd Is ready to go.
"4wd is at like 9-Oclock If i remeber correct"

That was my working Plan. I didn't get any farther than lying under the truck with a Deep Well socket and some scrap iron and going through the montions on all of this but it seemed pretty easy to make work.

Not Pretty or nothing but seemed simple enough to due. Though it was either 2wd or 4wd High there was no way to get to 4Low. would also need a way to make sure the deep well socket stayed on the selector shaft in x-fer case but I think you could make a bump stop or something to hold it in place.

hope this helps you out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks sublime68charger for going threw what you had planned. i was thinking somthing like that but the 5" piece that you had welded to your socket i think might have completed mine.

im only 16 so i dont have a lot of specailty tools (mills, Lathes) not yet any ways but i talked to my tech teavher today who has a mudder himself and he said that he would let me use the schools shop to figure it when ever i wanted to. so ill let you guys know what i come up with and if it work ill sell you guys one... lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You dont need alot of Specailty tools to get stuff done just go on step at a time and you can work around most problems. Though a Welder is Real Handy along with a Torch. I am the computer Guru for the School District.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just swap in a manual transfer case and save yourself a lot of trouble.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks, my 87 A4LD Xtracab has the electic shift xfer case...any tips on finding the best junkyard tcase that won't need rebuilt? BTW, I have a FM-146 (Mitsubishi) 5-speed with manual transfer case out of an 84 (I think) that had a 2.8 in front of it...thinking about using this tranny and xfer in my truck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

just go to the junkyard and pull drain plugs until you find a case with no water or metal filings in the oil. a gearbox is a gearbox, the majority of them will outlast your truck. which tranny the donor truck has is irrelevant since all 1350/54's have the same transmission-to-transfer case bolt pattern.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hey guys its been a while since i last posted here, anyways seeing how your on the topic of t-cases mine just took a crap on me last weekend and when i took it apart found out some nasty stuff, the end result was lack of oil, i just had this truck for a lil over a year now and it never occured to me that i should maybe replace my t-case oil but when i took it apart all of like one hand full of oil came out. Now my question is will a 1356 BW bolt up to my M5OD tranny?? cuz i found one thats manual and for cheap. I currently have the 1354 electric case. Ive been hearin yes's and no's but more yes's, sorry to hi-jack but i really need to get this fixed for this truck is my dd.
1356 won't fit. Or at least I don't see any reason why it would. 1350's are cheap, they almost never fail,and they are plentiful. I think I have like 6 spares. No I do not have the time to deal with shipping but, If you show up in my area, I'll give a few more away at least until I start running low.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cool, so the 1350 is manual shift, 1354 is exactly the same but electric shift? And the 1356 is out of Exploder and different how? I'm confused about the different tcases.

EDIT: Then there's the 1359 in-line transfer case (actually just a dummy case)...lol...in Bronco II 4x2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

will a 1356 BW bolt up to my M5OD tranny??

nope. different bolt patterns.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1354 is exactly the same but electric shift? And the 1356 is out of Exploder and different how? I'm confused about the different tcases.

the 1350 and 1354 were both available in manual an electric forms. both were used in broncos, explorers, and rangers and didnt change between vehicles (eg. a 1354 in an explorer is the same as one out of a ranger, ect.)

more info HERE

Already looked at that, but it doesn't give much specifics of pros and cons to each case. This is going to go in my 87 Ranger 2.9 with prolly a M5R1 tranny to replace my pos A4LD. As long as I'm replacing and upgrading parts, I want to buy the best tranny and xfer case for my application.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the cases are basically identical. the only advantage one has over the other is the 1354's slip yoke in the driveline. it's easier to replace the slip yoke on a 1354 when the time comes.

IMO, the "advantage" is negligible. slip yokes last forever especially with proper preventative maintainance. im running a 1350 in my truck.

other then that, they are the same strength and reliability wise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, got it thanks! One advantage to the flange type xcase output is that if you waste a rear driveshaft, you can pull it off and drive home in front wheel drive without the xcase running dry when all the oil leaks out and dirt gets in. But, yeah my 4x2 with slipjoint has alot of miles on it without any problems.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nope, all 4wd rangers use a flange or yoke type rear output that are attached to the cases...no slip yokes

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals