• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

converting from gas to water

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
How old did you think I was. My older sister was not even born for the 1973 incident, and was a newborn for the second.

I didn't come along until 1984. That makes me 24.

I was just asking someone at work if it had ever been this bad before, because they say history repeats itself. They told me know, but she isin't all that old either so I was undecided.
You are quite a bit younger than I thought you were.

I was pretty young for 1973 (5), but I do remember it. I remember the later incident (driven by instability in Iran ahead of the 1979-81 hostage crisis) very well. You could only fill up your tank on certain days based on your license plate number (generally odd vs. even). It was A LOT worse. You might wait in line for two hours only for the tank to run dry before you got to the front of the line.

Much of the 70s was stagnant, in part due to the oil shocks.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i tried it, i built a unit that pulls up to 50 amps....in a big diesel they help alot when actually designed for use, but i think it is due to the water vapor more then h2. i actually tried to become a hfi dealer/installer years ago.

my home built unit dont do shit for my v8 over the long run, i tore up my o2 harness wheelin and havent dicked with it since. i moved its feed behind my maf sensor though, cause cranked up it put out too much vapor. i have not been inclined to play with it, but i might do it with the diesel...

so yeah. its ghey.:D

on edit here....i did have one comment that it could make a good coffee maker from a curious neighbor that had been wondering wtf i had been doing..

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How old did you think I was. My older sister was not even born for the 1973 incident, and was a newborn for the second.

I didn't come along until 1984. That makes me 24.

I was just asking someone at work if it had ever been this bad before, because they say history repeats itself. They told me know, but she isin't all that old either so I was undecided.
Hehe, you got 6 months on me, I am still 23.

My dad says the second one was a pretty rough time, but then he wasn't exactly driving economy cars then either. He wasn't driving yet for the first one.

rangerbronco288

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually guys this can work. I work at a chevy dealership and one of the techs there took a week off of work and went to some state (dont remember) for training in this kind of a setup. he has an older pontiac trans sport van with the v6 and with this technology he is currently getting 46 mpg. The best part is he is only running at about 40% effeciency once he gets it tuned he will but up around 80% efficiency and averaging somewhere around 80mpg. The best part is he has to install it on 3 of his cars and it has to be verified by where he went to school for it. Then he can start installing it on other peoples vehicles and the cost from him for parts and labor for everything is $1500 which really isnt too bad im waiting for him to finish his cars so i can have it put on my truck hopefully.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
80% efficiency is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE with a gasoline engine.

The thermal limit is about 60%. That's perfect. The practical limit is closer to 35%.

The only way to get above that is to raise the combustion temperature -- in proportion in absolute scale. Which means HUNDREDS of degrees C at a minimum. And then your gasoline will detonate and your pistons will seize.

This isn't even addressing the 46 MPG claim. Which is less than believable on any Pontiac, let alone a sport van.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
T

When does it end? When is Exxon and BP going to stop rolling in their year after year of record profits and build a refinery in the US.
They will build one when the enviro-nazis let them. They have tried to build refineries but have not been successful since 1975.

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
80% efficiency is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE with a gasoline engine.

The thermal limit is about 60%. That's perfect. The practical limit is closer to 35%.

The only way to get above that is to raise the combustion temperature -- in proportion in absolute scale. Which means HUNDREDS of degrees C at a minimum. And then your gasoline will detonate and your pistons will seize.

This isn't even addressing the 46 MPG claim. Which is less than believable on any Pontiac, let alone a sport van.
They also said it was impossible for a man to walk on the moon ----BUT IT HAPPEN

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
They also said it was impossible for a man to walk on the moon ----BUT IT HAPPEN
So, who is "they?"

You can't make sh*t up and pretend it's a fact.

NASA was created in the early 60s with the idea that it was both possible and feasible to send a man to the moon and back (that latter part being rather important). Von Braun had the idea as early as the 20s. No one thought it was impossible.

Now, if you want to address the statement that 80% thermal efficiency is impossible on the facts, go right ahead. But to make stuff up without understanding it? Don't even bother.

Thermal efficiency goes back to the steam engine. It's quite well understood. And you aren't going to get better than about 60% or so EVER with a gasoline engine. Unless you can figure out how to keep it from detonating at MUCH higher temperatures (but then, it's not gasoline, and such an engine isn't going to be terribly recognizable, since you won't keep the aluminum parts from melting).

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual

First, just about any well-educated person in the 20th century would have admitted travel to the moon was possible.

Second, you're comparing two different things. Walking on the moon is a technical process, and you're comparing it to a physical/scientific constraint. It would be like me saying the following:

"People said we couldn't walk on the moon but we did, so it is certainly possible for me to freeze water at 50 degrees F at STP, even though people say it can't be done. They said the same thing about walking on the moon."

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

oldbaldy454

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
3.0 FFV
Transmission
Automatic
Swamprat and others:

My engineer son-in-law and I built a HHO generator in a 4" ABS tube with stainless steel wall plates, draws 20-25 amps and bubbles really good...We hooked it up to the Ranger at the PCV valve inlet near the throttle body with a 3/8" tube and let it run.

At idle speed we noticed no difference. Then I pulled the connector off of the IAC and dropped the idle down to 400-500 rpm and he also covered the Airbox snorkle inlet with his hand, as I fed the tube into the PCV valve inlet. It idled normally with the HHO gas running the engine, proof enough for us that it was running on almost pure hydrogen. When we pulled the H fed tube out, the idle speed dropped down where the engine almost stalled.
We did that several times and said "damn, it works".

Check engine light came on and we reset it by disconnecting battery.

Our next design will be something to fit under the Ranger's hood without melting.
There is very little room to mount anything with the 3.0 FFV engine and the heat from the exhaust manifold will probably not help. There is barely enough room to set a 4" diameter canister in front of the A/C heater connections.

We saw one of the You Tube Videos where a guy had put a rectangular stainless steel box in the trunk (if you can call it that) of a Prius and ran it cross country that yielded an improvement from 48 mpg to 66 mpg. His rate of H gas production was controlled by a variac mounted on his consule next to the drivers seat connected to the output of a 1800 watt DC to AC converter in the trunk. Then he used the AC thru a diode rectifier arrangement (bridge or ?)to feed the H generator plates.

Another guy re-fed his H generator with water from the windshield washer contatner
and the suction from the bubbler pulled the water in as needed...Hey is that neat or what?

I've had one person try to sell me an $1100 H system from:
http://www.hafctechnology.com/index.htm
Looks to be the best one around and with proven results.

Another kit is priced more reasonable at $170 at
http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/

For those of you believers, let me know what you are using on your Rangers in a private message. Thanks.

JB, retired electronics instructor, with time on his hands to fiddle with technology

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals