• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) Coolant gauge reading off

Shotrod69

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
This is what my coolant gauge is doing. It never heats up to what it was before. Have lots of heat coming out of the vents when I turn it on. It does have a “new” radiator from a newer 2.3 Lima.

an answer on this post or a link to another post works for me

93 2.3 regular cab

Attachments

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's a normal feature of the Lima engines, they never show hot, if they do they're running too hot most of the time... my '90 has always read down like that unless it's overheating for whatever reason... My '97 just runs cold for whatever reason which also seems to be common on the newer ones... I wish it had a lot of heat like the '90 does :)

I wouldn't worry about it myself, it's what they do

Shotrod69

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
That's a normal feature of the Lima engines, they never show hot, if they do they're running too hot most of the time... my '90 has always read down like that unless it's overheating for whatever reason... My '97 just runs cold for whatever reason which also seems to be common on the newer ones... I wish it had a lot of heat like the '90 does :)

I wouldn't worry about it myself, it's what they do
Alrighty, rock on man thank you.

I just figured I’d ask because it didn’t used to do that before the rad and water pump was done.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've always thought normal operating range was dead center. My 3.0 used to hang there all the time. Then I replaced the thermostat from a 195 to a 180. Now it hangs out at the one third point, well below normal.

I've been having some issues lately. Occasionally, after it reaches the one third point and hangs there a few minutes, all the sudden, the needle starts climbing up. Once it almost hit the top. Then it just as suddenly, drops back to the one third point and stays there. Something wrong with the thermostat? It does date back to 2001 or so. Maybe it's getting sticky?

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Check your Radiator levels...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
You guys have to understand in the 23 years I've been hanging around this question comes up every 6 months and it's always on a 2.3L, on my '90 that I've had since November of '99 it has ALWAYS lived by the N in normal on the gauge unless something is wrong, I've had like 4 different engines in it and at least two different temp senders, like 6 radiators (not for that issue, usually from piercing with the fan clutch), it's a feature :)

Chances are it was just running hot before, conveniently these engines are tough and don't really care for the most part. On my F350 with a 7.3L powerstroke I chased a high coolant temp issue and it turned out to be the turbo, put in a fancy aluminum racing radiator and didn't change anything but the turbo dropped the temps by a lot... didn't gain power or fuel mileage oddly but it runs cooler...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Ford Temp gauges in the Rangers up thru 2003 are the same, 4cyl or V6 engines
1/2 is 200degF, forget the "letters" they are different depending on gauge position and rotation
So there is just C and H and then 1/2 in between them, lol

V6s run just below 1/2 or at 1/2 after full warm up because the Temp Sender on the engine is at the top front of the cooling system so hottest location and thermostats are 190-195degF

2.3l/2.5l Limas have the Temp Sender at rear drivers side, seen here: https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/500x441/0996b43f8021b7e1_d3c13ce3af4920cf917bb86d6913e996a27c731c.gif

So measures rear BLOCK coolant temp, which will be a lower temp than upper front of engine
So 1/4 to 1/3, maybe, on temp gauge after warm up

You can add a Temp sender Bung to Heater Hose at top front of the engine
And use that for the temp gauge
Ford did that for a few years with the Computer's ECT sensor
You can do the same for Coolant temp sender if you want

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Ok, there's Ron and his logic again :)

The dumb part is on the '95? and newer Limas they fixed the temp sensor location but somehow they over cool and don't warm up or have heat, so that's fun... my '90 will roast you out at 5F with heat on max and fan on low and the temp gauge is where it always is (always been that way) but on my '97 the temp gauge is buried cold and doesn't move at anything under 50F and you barely get any heat out unless I cover at least half the radiator... Above 50F and everything works spiffy... I've changed everything but the heater core chasing this (I'm not 5 hours of labor invested in the solution, I sure wish they hadn't changed that process from the 5 screws and two hose clamps that the '90 uses, I don't want to remove the WHOLE DASH just to change the heater core)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals