• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coolant Loop around PCV connection

kukaepe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
MAZDA
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I am a recent owner of a 2002 B3000 and have been doing routine maintenance work to this vehicle. It has 81K miles so not high but as a new owner I want to get a "baseline" on the maintenance work. So far have replaced clutch, front pads, water pump, spark plugs and wires, all filters, lubricants etc. I was going to change the PCV valve and was puzzled at what I found at the connection to the valve cover on the driver's side. It appears to have a coolant loop coming off the heater hoses at "T" fittings about 1/2 way between the radiator and the firewall. I can't figure out how to get the PCV valve out and am not understanding why Ford/Mazda would circulate coolant around this connection point. Can anyone out there help me understand what this is about and how to change the PCV valve. Thanks in advance, Mike

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The new PCV will have the loop around it as well for the coolant to circulate. The coolant goes around it to help keep the PCV from freezing in cold climates. Just remove the coolant lines from each side of the loop, and twist the PCV out of the valve cover. Lefty loosy.

silverbow25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is old, but I found this thread when I was trying to find the answer to this question and I have since discovered that the answer here is not necessarily correct.

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L and no parts place will ever suggest to me a PCV valve with a coolant loop attached even though the one in my truck clearly has it. After quite a bit of searching online I found that the pcv valve in my truck has a clip disconnect for the pcv valve so that you can remove the pcv valve from the loop and slide the new one back into the existing coolant loop. All the pcv valves that I found online with a coolant loop attached were for the 4.0L engine.

Be aware when you are buying a replacement to avoid plastic equivalent options as they will likely not fit into the coolant loop. I haven't tested this, but it certainly appears that this would be true.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals