• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling Differential covers, do they really matter?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Once upon a time there was a comical glitch is the universe. You could get cast aluminum MOTORCRAFT Shelby GT-500 differential covers online for like $60, Ford Performance ones were like $200. Same part, one was thru their replacement part system and one was thru their upgrade accessory system. So I snagged one. Diff cooling needed or not, Ford came up with this apperatus for the Shelbys.

I found a plug to plug the hole for the temp sensor and while I haven't yet I have the block off ports for the cooler lines for a drain plug and the top one to flush out the case if need be.

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Once upon a time there was a comical glitch is the universe. You could get cast aluminum MOTORCRAFT Shelby GT-500 differential covers online for like $60, Ford Performance ones were like $200. Same part, one was thru their replacement part system and one was thru their upgrade accessory system. So I snagged one. Diff cooling needed or not, Ford came up with this apperatus for the Shelbys.

I found a plug to plug the hole for the temp sensor and while I haven't yet I have the block off ports for the cooler lines for drain plug.

most interesting!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I cant see a rear end getting hot unless youre loaded super heavy and constantly on the go pedal.

The semis have rear end temp gauges....even on 100* days hauling 50k of milk at 70mph i think ive hit 180.

Even the manual trannys have cooling systems on them so i would think if there was a real benifit to a diff cover like that they would have them.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

I found a plug to plug the hole for the temp sensor and while I haven't yet I have the block off ports for the cooler lines for a drain plug and the top one to flush out the case if need be.

Ay that's the thing I was talking about!

Looks like it has an electric pump attached? I'm curious where you'd find power for it with the correct voltage all the way back there.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I cant see a rear end getting hot unless youre loaded super heavy and constantly on the go pedal.

The semis have rear end temp gauges....even on 100* days hauling 50k of milk at 70mph i think ive hit 180.

Even the manual trannys have cooling systems on them so i would think if there was a real benifit to a diff cover like that they would have them.
I did just recently spend 2 hours at the trucks speed limit of 90 mph with around 600lbs of payload (not a lot I know, but more may be coming. I may actually try attaching a thermoprobe or otherwise a method of measuring temps after the next trip.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ay that's the thing I was talking about!

Looks like it has an electric pump attached? I'm curious where you'd find power for it with the correct voltage all the way back there.
There is a sensor that goes in the cover so I assume there is wiring back there for it.

I put a normal metric pipe plug into that port and just use it as a cover. I am throwing less than a third of the hp at it and was mainly tired of my steel cover seeping and having no ability to drain the diff after water crossings.

I also had to knock down some of the internal cooling fins because my old Explorer axle has a tone ring than the Shelby wouldn't have.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There is a sensor that goes in the cover so I assume there is wiring back there for it.

I put a normal metric pipe plug into that port and just use it as a cover. I am throwing less than a third of the hp at it and was mainly tired of my steel cover seeping and having no ability to drain the diff after water crossings.

I also had to knock down some of the internal cooling fins because my old Explorer axle has a tone ring than the Shelby wouldn't have.
Well, if you still have all that jazz and I find myself heading across the border I may be interested in picking it up for the sake of science! Sweet deal you got there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, if you still have all that jazz and I find myself heading across the border I may be interested in picking it up for the sake of science! Sweet deal you got there.
I only bought the cover for $60, I have never even seen the rest of it in real life.

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I only bought the cover for $60, I have never even seen the rest of it in real life.
My mistake, I thought you had snagged the cover + the cooling doohickey for 60$. That'd be a deal!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
there is an 8.8 finned cover on marketplace right now for 60 bucks. i think it was a banks, too. i will have to search for it and hopefully remember to post it

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
I was wrong. There is tons of diff covers but the two 8.8 ones i was mis-remebering are ford motorsport 8.8 ones like pictured above. 200 bucks which is a nogo

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I did just recently spend 2 hours at the trucks speed limit of 90 mph with around 600lbs of payload (not a lot I know, but more may be coming. I may actually try attaching a thermoprobe or otherwise a method of measuring temps after the next trip.
get an IR thermometer, like the ones that measured foreheads during CIVID.
they have automotive compatible models for hi temps.
can be used on exhaust ports to find a poorly performing cylinder and other stuff.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
they are not expensive and super easy to use because you don;t have to bend your wrist in all kind of directions to get measurements

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals