• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Could this be vapor lock?

silkysix

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 87 BII 2.9l has less than 5000 miles on its total makeover. The engine has had no problems until this week. There have been three episodes when I have driven the truck 10 plus miles, shut it down for a half hour, and it will not start. Cranking fine but no start. In each occasion, after I relieve the fuel pressure at the fuel rail Schrader valve, the engine fires up and runs fine. I never heard of vapor lock in a fuel injected engine, but this sure acts like it. Could this be caused by a malfunctioning fuel pressure regulator? I recently replaced a leaking fuel reservoir. Could there be a connection there?

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Leaking fuel reservoir? What? Any pictures of that part?

You surely mean a fuel vapor canister. (charcoal canister) If it was full of fuel then you have other problems. Either the recirculation valve wasn't opening, which isn't allowing a burning off of those vapors, or you have a vent plugged on the fuel cap/tank which is shoving raw fuel in to that canister when the fuel tank heats up and builds pressure.

silkysix

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Bird, Thanks for your reply. I will definitely check vapor canister and fuel cap! Regarding the fuel reservoir: It is mounted on the frame under the driver's seat. Google it for pictures

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with KOEO and KOER, and check the vacuum line to the regulator for any sign of fuel. The pressure should be around 40-45psi engine off, and 30-35psi engine running. I wouldn't think that high pressure caused the reservoir to leak. The pressure would make it's way to the tank, and eventually the vapor canister.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Leaking fuel reservoir? What? Any pictures of that part?

You surely mean a fuel vapor canister. (charcoal canister) If it was full of fuel then you have other problems. Either the recirculation valve wasn't opening, which isn't allowing a burning off of those vapors, or you have a vent plugged on the fuel cap/tank which is shoving raw fuel in to that canister when the fuel tank heats up and builds pressure.
The fuel resivor hes reffering to if that little black canister that sometimes holds a filter. It resides on the frame rail after the tank and before the high pressure pump.

.....and no that isnt (or shouldnt be) the issue here

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Most people just bypass them and throw those things away...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You issue reads more like TFI(spark) than fuel related

Have a read here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml

Vapor lock occurs when a fuel line gets hot enough for the gasoline in the hot fuel line to turn to a vapor instead of a liquid and fuel pumps can't pump vapor.
This occurred when there were mechanical fuel pumps on the engine, and metal fuel lines from the gas tank to the pump and this metal line ran near exhaust system and had 0psi pressure in it.
So on hot days with hot exhaust you could get vapor lock

When you raise the pressure of any fluid you raise the vapor temp point of that fluid, the boiling point

Your system runs at 30psi from under drivers seat to engine, where exhaust and heat are, so it can't get hot enough to vaporize gasoline at even 10psi.
From gas tank to front pump you run 7-10psi, and its not near any exhaust or extra heat point, so unlikely to occur there

To see if its spark or fuel issue you could spray gasoline into the intake when there is a No Start to see if engine starts, if it doesn't then its a Spark issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals