• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cover me, I am going in!

SplashRedRocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I guess this is where we introduce ourselves before begging for help~
Like many I have been lurking for a long time and reading all I can here and everywhere else. I bought a '93 Standard Cab Splash 4.0 5 Spd a few years back with the idea of going through it and having a PAID for daily driver. My son had also just gotten a 94 Extended Cab 3.0 that needed work, so father/son time ensued.
As it usually goes, my head gasket blew and it got parked. Money went into finishing his Truck. It turned out great, Toyota VooDoo Blue, 31 inch tires, and enough light bar to make airplanes want to land in his front yard. He even got the air controlled lumbar support seats from my Splash...
So, it is time to get mine back on the road. I am more interested in having a Home Depot/extra vehicle. Many of you will want to choke me for my question but here goes.
Will a 2.3 drop in without much hassle? They are plentiful and cheaper than getting the head gasket done. I live in an apartment, so major engine work has to be farmed out. I did the transmission here and almost got evicted!
So don't laugh (or flame), just shoot straight. What will I need to put a 2.3 in this truck. I know the transmission is a given, electronics, I guess my main deal is will motor mount even come close??

Thanks!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
AFAIK the motor mounts are different. In what way I don't know as I haven't worked on one yet. I have one in line to strip out but that won't be for a few months.

PS; welcome to TRS. Someone will be along to answer your question better than me.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, motor mounts for a 4cyl need a cross bar under the engine, its not wide enough to have both mounts on the frame rails

Which 2.3l?
1989-1997 2.3l SOHC Lima engine
2001-2011 2.3l DOHC Duratec engine

4.0l OHV(1990-2000 Rangers), is one of the most reliable engines Ford ever made, either 2.3l is as good as well, but you already have the 4.0l, and heads and head gaskets will be much less than any engine swap

Good running 4.0l OHV should get 17-19mpg
either 2.3l would be 21-23mpg

In the long run you are better off fixing the 4.0l Ranger, selling it and then buying a factory 4cyl Ranger

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Welcome to TRS.

AlwaysFlOoReD is our polite Canadian that knows his stuff. He should be the next PM of Canada.

I'm pretty sure RonD is God in Canada. But only in Canada. And on TRS. Which is also part of Canada.

Actual photo of what happens when they fist bump:

RS7196_487127185.jpg

I just tell people to put 2.9s in stuff.

Put a 2.9 in it.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

SplashRedRocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No, motor mounts for a 4cyl need a cross bar under the engine, its not wide enough to have both mounts on the frame rails

Which 2.3l?
1989-1997 2.3l SOHC Lima engine
2001-2011 2.3l DOHC Duratec engine

4.0l OHV(1990-2000 Rangers), is one of the most reliable engines Ford ever made, either 2.3l is as good as well, but you already have the 4.0l, and heads and head gaskets will be much less than any engine swap

Good running 4.0l OHV should get 17-19mpg
either 2.3l would be 21-23mpg

In the long run you are better off fixing the 4.0l Ranger, selling it and then buying a factory 4cyl Ranger
Ron,
This is EXACTLY the type answer I was looking for, thank you. I am not 100% set either way, but I can get a good running '91 2.3 (cosmetics suck) for $400. I like the Lima, have had it in another vehicle back in the 80's.
So if it is a crossbar, I have to assume the donor and recipient 91 and 93 are close enough that part will interchange?

To further qualify what I am doing, the Splash is very straight, I have had a few old men stop me and comment on it and say how they had one back in the day. I have spent alot of time and money so far, doing most all myself. I am almost 60 and going fast is not as important as just getting there is these days. With 3 kids, a girlfriend and her kids, cars go in the shop. An extra vehicle is always good.
I got the Ranger because my youngest had one GIVEN to him that needed work, but it was at his moms house. I really could not go there to help him work on it because she likes to be EVIL and such. So I got one, we would do stuff on mine and he would take that knowledge home. We ordered parts together, etc...
This is his, we just put the tires and wheels on it. Not bad for a first vehicle.

Attachments

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Ron,
This is EXACTLY the type answer I was looking for, thank you. I am not 100% set either way, but I can get a good running '91 2.3 (cosmetics suck) for $400. I like the Lima, have had it in another vehicle back in the 80's.
So if it is a crossbar, I have to assume the donor and recipient 91 and 93 are close enough that part will interchange?

To further qualify what I am doing, the Splash is very straight, I have had a few old men stop me and comment on it and say how they had one back in the day. I have spent alot of time and money so far, doing most all myself. I am almost 60 and going fast is not as important as just getting there is these days. With 3 kids, a girlfriend and her kids, cars go in the shop. An extra vehicle is always good.
I got the Ranger because my youngest had one GIVEN to him that needed work, but it was at his moms house. I really could not go there to help him work on it because she likes to be EVIL and such. So I got one, we would do stuff on mine and he would take that knowledge home. We ordered parts together, etc...
This is his, we just put the tires and wheels on it. Not bad for a first vehicle.

:icon_thumby::icon_thumby::icon_thumby::icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

more power to 'ya

Oxxon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello and welcome to TRS!!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking Ranger your son has

1983 to 1992 Rangers are smaller than 1993 to 2011 Rangers so cross member might not fit

1st generation, 1983-1988, 1.5gen 1989-1992 <<changes to bodies front end
2nd gen 1993-1997 << wider vehicle
3rd gen 1998-2011

Last edited:

SplashRedRocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS.

AlwaysFlOoReD is our polite Canadian that knows his stuff. He should be the next PM of Canada.

I'm pretty sure RonD is God in Canada. But only in Canada. And on TRS. Which is also part of Canada.

Actual photo of what happens when they fist bump:

View attachment 31013

I just tell people to put 2.9s in stuff.

Put a 2.9 in it.
Mr. PJ412,
Here is my dilemma, 2.9 is almost 3. We know Pi is approximately equal to 3.14. The number π is a mathematical constant. Originally defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, it now has various equivalent definitions and appears in many formulas in all areas of mathematics and physics. I was hoping to keep this simple.;)
(Yes, I am messing with you)

SplashRedRocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking Ranger your son has

1983 to 1992 Rangers are smaller than 1993 to 2011 Rangers so cross member might not fit

1st generation, 1983-1988, 1.5gen 1989-1992 <<changes to bodies front end
2nd gen 1993-1997 << wider vehicle
3rd gen 1998-2011
That helps. Looks like a trip to LKQ with a tape measure is appropriate after Dorian blows through here. I think for the 6 dollar entry fee, knowing for sure will be well worth the cost. I can probably look that part up online also.
Thanks for the compliment on Sons truck. I am very proud of him for having the vision sticking with the project. So many 16 year old kids these days just want things handed to them. Forgot to mention he swapped out doors to add Power windows and Locks too.

SplashRedRocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Dirtman,
I did not mention the other mechanical issues, it was the head gasket that got it parked. Yes, I am certain the 4.0 could be gone through (and that may still happen) but I stumbled across a very good running but non titled and butt ugly 91 2.3 l for almost nothing. I came here to see just how big a hassle it would be to yank the 4.0 with almost 300 thousand on it and drop in the 2.3 with half the mileage.

Dsetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Howdy, SplashRR!
Well, I can guarantee swapping engines is WAY more work than new head gaskets. I've done head gaskets in a parking lot- 45 minutes away from home- in a day.
IF you didn't have 300k on the 4.0, it would be a no-brainer IMO to refresh it.
I loved my 2.3 in my 88 2wd. Was rock solid.
But you are talking something like 165 HP down to 110 HP.
4.0 motors are plenty available, maybe spend a bit of time searching for a lower mileage 4.0? Swapping another 4.0 would probably be less headache than a different engine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals