• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cv Joint on front driveshaft keeps going out? Help Pls!

Samstoops

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I Have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4.0 Ohv 4x4. The issue im having is that the cv joint on the front driveshaft that connects the front drive line to the transfer case keeps going bad. it first started about a year and a half ago when my truck started shake kind of like the tires where off balance and i could hear a rattling noise. it took me forever to diagnose it but i eventually came to the conclusion my front drive line cv joint was the problem. it was very loose and i could grab the drive line and move it around inside of the joint. so i ended up going to oreilly and buying a new cv joint and the specialty tool and replaced it myself. once i did my truck stopped shaking and the noise was gone. i was happy my truck was back to normal. Fast forward a couple months and im having the same issue. I was still baffled at what it could be cause surely it couldnt have gone bad so quickly. i was wrong apparently cause it did and it was causing me the same problems. this time i decided to buy a whole new front drive line with a new cv joint and u joint. i didnt want to try and replace the cv joint on the drive line again, it was a pain. Once again once i replaced it and everything was fixed the truck drove normal and no rattling noise. But yet again it went bad in the span of a couple of months and here i am today. I hardly drive the truck btw, i have a car i daily drive so the truck only gets a few thousand miles a year. So now obviously im thinking there is something causing this problem because i dont believe they would all go bad so quickly for nothing. My question is what could it be and has anyone had this happen to them before? Could my transfer case be bad, would that cause it? four wheel drive seems to work alright although i dont use it much. i have noticed the front drive line spins when driving in 2wd, is that normal? Im unsure so if anyone has any advice on what it could be that would be great?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I replied in the general discussion section post.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals