• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Electricity is the devils magic, :devilish::devilish:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its not pointless persay.

But its inferior to fossil fuels for transportation.
Actually it is rather vital for transportation unless you have an alternative method for starting your mechanical diesel.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Actually it is rather vital for transportation unless you have an alternative method for starting your mechanical diesel.
A shotgun shell does the trick...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Solar panels are hazardous to manufacturer, which I think was addressed. Solar plants that use mirrors to reflect to a central tower and wind mills are killing fields for wildlife. Then there is the low frequency vibrations that are driving wildlife away and have been linked to health issues. Wind mills still need lubrication and are maintenance intensive. They also can not compete with traditional power generation without government subsidies (mine and your tax money). Even with the subsidies, power from them is expensive. The American public is getting raped to support, at least to this point, a nonviable and self sustaining solution. Not to mention power is only generated if there is wind and sun. While solar does work when it’s cloudy, it’s no where near as efficient as it can be on a clear, sunny day and generates absolutely nothing when it’s dark. Wind generation is also limited to how much wind there is, assuming the mill is even running. Look at how many are NOT operating if you drive by a wind farm on a regular basis. Both are a supplemental system at best and are not the final answer or solution.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I did a bunch of work a few years back for a company that made bouys that generated power from bobbing up and down in the waves. They were small scale and only really feasible for charging/powering offshore stuff but they were also experimenting with underwater "wind" turbines that used the steady ocean currents for power. That seemed promising. They also had ideas to stick generators over hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor... that seemed less feasible.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Solar panels are hazardous to manufacturer, which I think was addressed. Solar plants that use mirrors to reflect to a central tower and wind mills are killing fields for wildlife. Then there is the low frequency vibrations that are driving wildlife away and have been linked to health issues. Wind mills still need lubrication and are maintenance intensive. They also can not compete with traditional power generation without government subsidies (mine and your tax money). Even with the subsidies, power from them is expensive. The American public is getting raped to support, at least to this point, a nonviable and self sustaining solution. Not to mention power is only generated if there is wind and sun. While solar does work when it’s cloudy, it’s no where near as efficient as it can be on a clear, sunny day and generates absolutely nothing when it’s dark. Wind generation is also limited to how much wind there is, assuming the mill is even running. Look at how many are NOT operating if you drive by a wind farm on a regular basis. Both are a supplemental system at best and are not the final answer or solution.
Yep. As you correctly pointed out, there's no free lunch. Mining lithium for batteries is bad for the environment. Drilling for oil is bad for the environment. Fracking for natural gas is bad for the environment. Clear cutting forests for firewood is bad for the environment. Damming a river for hydro electric is bad for the environment. Nuclear has very serious pitfalls if anything goes wrong.
No energy source is perfect, so it just comes down to choosing the lesser evil. Generally, the things that have an upfront environmental impact but are then mostly clean while being used (batteries, renewables) are better options than things that have an upfront impact and then continue to have negative impacts as they're used (fossil fuels, etc).
If your big issue with renewables is the government subsidizing them, they also subsidize the oil and natural gas industry, and the agricultural industry, and the mining industry and a ton of other things that are mature, healthy industries that shouldn't need subsidization.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The government should just pay hobos to ride bikes attached to generators all day... the hobos get money for crack, and we get cheap energy.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
But there isn’t just up front costs for renewables. They have an impact cradle to grave.

The points you make about current power sources are true to the most part. That gets into politics, which I would rather avoid since it invariably becomes a hate and bash session. So, I’ll stop right here on the politics.

Plus, I think political discussions are highly frowned up on here.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The government should just pay hobos to ride bikes attached to generators all day... the hobos get money for crack, and we get cheap energy.
That sounds like a good idea. But we need to factor in the upfront cost of the bikes, generators, the buildings to house the equipment.
How much money will each crackhead make per day? Do we pay them based on electricity produced? Wouldnt it be cheaper to buy the crack in bulk and just pay them in crack?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Harnessing cow farts sound way easier.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Hey is that Kid Rock?

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Page 37. I need more ?
How would you like it delivered, Jim? I can throw it at you one popped kernel at a time, or I can throw it at you one unpopped kernel at a time.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That sounds like a good idea. But we need to factor in the upfront cost of the bikes, generators, the buildings to house the equipment.
How much money will each crackhead make per day? Do we pay them based on electricity produced? Wouldnt it be cheaper to buy the crack in bulk and just pay them in crack?
What we could do is have Israel sell weapons to Iran then give Israel weapons to reimburse them and collect the money from the sale to use to fund cocaine farming rebels in south America and then use the cocaine to pay the bums...

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
More Teslas on the Road Meant Hours-Long Supercharger Lines Over Thanksgiving

Like I wrote upthread, you can't make the system work when every recharge takes hours. Also, this is the fastest recharge system with the greatest power losses, and they note that when more cars recharge simultaneously then the times increase - this means the limitation is the maximum power transmission to the facility (grid connection).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals