• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cybertruck Reveal

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Half of the internet is FAKE !!!
Does that mean that HALF OF YOU DON'T EXIST !!!
OMG !!!
:shok::not_i::icon_surprised:
Grumpaw
I pretty sure I’m real... maybe you don’t exist.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A Boeing 777 has 3 million parts made by 900 different suppliers who all submitted the lowest bid.
It's certified by a govt. agency that is paid off by the manufacturers to not find anything wrong with any of those 3 million parts, or how their put togather.
Then it's flown by pilots, some of which are barely paid minimum wage, or by others who may or may not be drunk or high, or haven't slept in 20 hours.
Your stuck in the back like in a cattle car, and hoping that the pilot isn't one of those nuts who decides that this time he's gonna do the suicide thing right.
And you wonder why I don't like to fly.
Grumpaw.
Actually it is rather amazing how reliable they are.

Airline pilots are monitored pretty closely by the FAA as far as DUI/drug testing and by no means work for anything close to minimum wage.

I wanted to be an airline pilot when I was in high school but 9/11 happened my junior year and kinda tanked the industry for awhile.

When Ford flew me to Detroit security wasn't a big deal and the flight was an hour. When I drove to Ohio (a little farther east of Detroit and south) it took two days to drive.

Pretty sure we had worse odds of being hit head on by a drunk driver than getting a drunk pilot.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I realize that the vast majority of pilots are great, and they do make good $$$.
But when your "back there" you have NO control over what happens, and when one goes, you ALL go.
At least in my car/truck, I have some control over what i'm doing in relation to other drivers, and I have a higher possibility of controlling the outcome of an approaching hazard.
And, as far as the 3 million parts...if a few of em fail it's a looooong way down. If a few parts on my car/truck fail, I just pull over to the side of the road and call for a tow.
Grumpaw

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That reminds me of a saying at work...

“Brought to you by the lowest bidder.”
I've worked for the Air National Guard and deployed for almost 33 years now. I know lowest bidder build quality intimately. Thankfully, the aircraft has been pretty darn good considering it was built from 1955 to 1964 (ours are 1958 and 1959 models). Meanwhile, we have the infrastructure supporting us and the airframe crumbling all around us, even after it's been "fixed". This is the third or fourth year we have been without heat as an example.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
More people that actually thought that EV's could be used like ICE automobiles, and that technology was going to allow that: Tesla Owners Wait In Half-Mile-Long Line To Charge Their Cars On Black Friday

It's really a failure of the education system to teach people basic concepts about energy and physics - none of these concepts are complex. So instead people buy the hype and fall victim to fraudsters, and envision that they will take their EV to a "SuperCharger", and it will recharge really fast - and someday "technology" will make it possible to recharge in minutes! Never realizing this is impossible on a widespread transportation system basis.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Same problem happened to ICE automobiles year before last on Labour Day: The Petro Canada just north of Airdrie ran out of gasoline about 6 pm on Friday afternoon. Cars were lined up for the entire service road (at least 1/2 mile) waiting for the next tanker truck to arrive, because they didn't have enough fuel to drive back to Airdrie (about 10 km) or up the road to Carstairs (about 20 km).

A supply and demand problem - everyone waiting until they were headed out on long weekend to fill tank. Then again, if people could plan for themselves, 50% of my job doing project management would go away.

As for repairs - wasn't there a forum individual who waited MONTHs to get his F-150, the most popular vehicle in production, repaired?

If one wants to make EV work, it can be done - might need a little more planning, might not be a convenient some times - Tesla offer AWD options for those who can't live without 4 wheel drive. But most of the issues can be worked around - some will be reduced in time as more people drive electric cars, new ones will arise.

My question: Total cost of ownership for my '98 Ranger is currently running me about 25¢/mile. (includes depreciation, gas, maintenance, insurance, registration) Is a Cybertruck going to reduce that number for me significantly assuming I drive national average distance?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
More people that actually thought that EV's could be used like ICE automobiles, and that technology was going to allow that: Tesla Owners Wait In Half-Mile-Long Line To Charge Their Cars On Black Friday

It's really a failure of the education system to teach people basic concepts about energy and physics - none of these concepts are complex. So instead people buy the hype and fall victim to fraudsters, and envision that they will take their EV to a "SuperCharger", and it will recharge really fast - and someday "technology" will make it possible to recharge in minutes! Never realizing this is impossible on a widespread transportation system basis.
Do you believe it bolsters your argument to treat those you disagree with as if they're incompetent?

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Half of the internet is FAKE !!!
Does that mean that HALF OF YOU DON'T EXIST !!!
OMG !!!
:shok::not_i::icon_surprised:
Grumpaw

Thank you Al Gore...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Gentlemen.

I would love to interrupt.

This argument has been going on for 15 days. That's 360 hours.

Which means:

Since starting, this post has attracted 594 responses. This one marks 595.

Let's play fair and toss the one liners in with all the long tl;dr ones. (we would have been at 795 if Bird would have turned up for the thread)

Let's say, average of eight minutes per post?

That means in just over two weeks, TRS spent 79 hours, 20 minutes arguing about Elon Musk's shitbox, when we could have been arguing about how to hold a hammer when building the TRS race truck.

And sorry broh, idgaf if runs on gas, electric, or elons sense of self satisfaction. That thing looks like a shitbox. The design is not original (countach was a flat plate body), it's not stylish, it's not trendy,

it's ****ing lazy.

It's lazy ****ing design work. Vehicles are artforms. That's a rolling abortion. **** the engine or motor or gerbil. It makes me want to go blind.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Same problem happened to ICE automobiles year before last on Labour Day: The Petro Canada just north of Airdrie ran out of gasoline about 6 pm on Friday afternoon. Cars were lined up for the entire service road (at least 1/2 mile) waiting for the next tanker truck to arrive, because they didn't have enough fuel to drive back to Airdrie (about 10 km) or up the road to Carstairs (about 20 km).

The difference is it takes 5 minutes to refuel an vehicle with a real engine, i also call BS that that many vehicles didnt have enough fuel to make it that lil bit of difference

A supply and demand problem - everyone waiting until they were headed out on long weekend to fill tank. Then again, if people could plan for themselves, 50% of my job doing project management would go away.

Piss poor planning ensures piss poor results, but with an EV piss poor plannibg can reall ruin your day

As for repairs - wasn't there a forum individual who waited MONTHs to get his F-150, the most popular vehicle in production, repaired?

Yes. But that is abnormal for an F150, totally normal for a tesla. Stupid arguement based on one F150 vs many, many tes,a horror stories

If one wants to make EV work, it can be done - might need a little more planning, might not be a convenient some times - Tesla offer AWD options for those who can't live without 4 wheel drive. But most of the issues can be worked around - some will be reduced in time as more people drive electric cars, new ones will arise.

Anyone who trusts an tesla to get out in conditions where AWD is needed needs their head looked at. No way im trusting a haphazardly assembled oversized power wheels to get me and mine home in a blinding snow storm. No way. Ill find a 78 bronco

My question: Total cost of ownership for my '98 Ranger is currently running me about 25¢/mile. (includes depreciation, gas, maintenance, insurance, registration) Is a Cybertruck going to reduce that number for me significantly assuming I drive national average distance?

No.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Do you believe it bolsters your argument to treat those you disagree with as if they're incompetent?
You are correct and I apologize - it is just my frustration in seeing the nearly universal expectation of a future that is not coming, and the problems that will result from that. People are being fed a lot of BS, and it would be refreshing if the masses would call that out. But of course that's true in so many areas today.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I mean setup 1 for 1. So for each gas pump there is a fast supercharger. even tho most people would never really need to stop. in 7 months my wife had to use a supercharger instead of our home charger during her daily commute twice and in both instances she drove over 600 miles that day.

How far is your wife's job? 600 miles a day for a daily commute doesn't sound right either... Even at 75mph the whole time that's still an 8 hr trip... What the hell do you and your wife do to get 100k in a year? You need closer jobs....

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
:flipoff:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I mean setup 1 for 1. So for each gas pump there is a fast supercharger. even tho most people would never really need to stop. in 7 months my wife had to use a supercharger instead of our home charger during her daily commute twice and in both instances she drove over 600 miles that day.
How far is your wife's job? 600 miles a day for a daily commute doesn't sound right either... Even at 75mph the whole time that's still an 8 hr trip... What the hell do you and your wife do to get 100k in a year? You need closer jobs....
Try reading that again.

It doesn't say that her daily commute is 600 miles. In 7 months, she only had to use the supercharger two times. Those two times she had driven over 600 miles each.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals