• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 28 ?

Willgeezy88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1992
Make / Model
Ranger/explorer
Transmission
Manual
So had to pull the diff out to get my passenger axleshaft out is the c clip necessary on passenger axleshaft inside the diff or is that for just in case you loose the u joint between the 2 pieces so the stub shaft stay in the housing and keeps the oil in the housing

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It’s needed because there’s a slip joint in the axle. Without something to hold it there would be 2 moving joints and the shaft could fall out.
Some people put a spring inside the slip joint on the axle and leave the c clip out of the diff. The spring holds the shaft in place enough so it can’t fall out.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The c clip is necessary. The u-joint isn't designed to take a load the c-clip takes care of and it keeps the axle where is needs to be in placement for proper sealing and load bearing on the splines.

Willgeezy88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1992
Make / Model
Ranger/explorer
Transmission
Manual
It’s needed because there’s a slip joint in the axle. Without something to hold it there would be 2 moving joints and the shaft could fall out.
Some people put a spring inside the slip joint on the axle and leave the c clip out of the diff. The spring holds the shaft in place enough so it can’t fall out.
Ok thank you answers my question debating on putting the Dana 28 back together or just following through with a straight axle swap

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The spring mod works just fine. And it makes it much easier to do repairs where the shaft needs to come out.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Ok thank you answers my question debating on putting the Dana 28 back together or just following through with a straight axle swap
So what are you going to do? You can’t just say something like that without letting us know the plan. You need to hurry up and decide.

Willgeezy88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1992
Make / Model
Ranger/explorer
Transmission
Manual
So what are you going to do? You can’t just say something like that without letting us know the plan. You need to hurry up and decide.
Well my plan is to go full size this spring but I need to rebuild the axles I have and get lower gears installed I pulled the pas axle shaft out to replace the outer ujoint but after having it tore down this far was thinking I might as well pull the rest of the ttb out and just throw in a Dana 30 in for the time being

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Going from a 28 to 30 isn't a huge jump in strength if you are just going to go 44 or bigger later... going to a Dana 35 is less work but don't make more work for yourself...

I just put a weedeater head spring inside the boot in the passenger side shafts, the hose clamp on the small side keeps the spring in, super simple and has lived for 10 years without any hiccups. Honestly I've lost track of my spare axle shafts for my D35, they're in my in bed toolbox that's shoved in a corner but need to be cleaned up at this point, I used to expect them to explode but apparently I'm not hard enough on things or my 8:1 turbo motor doesn't have enough torque until it doesn't matter anymore...

Willgeezy88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1992
Make / Model
Ranger/explorer
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I havent 100 percent figured it out I'll probably end up with the Dana 28 for the rest of winter I have the 2.9 v6 and it lives on the limiter I've never snapped a shaft yet this is my second Dana 28 in 2 different trucks I was gonna do the dana 35 ttb swap but had to sell my explorer to make some cash unfortunately...I was also thinking about welding the front up but keep in mind I'm only running 32x9.50 super swampers figure it might work for a while as long as I keep it from wheel hopping to bad

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cheap posi for the front pumpkin and less likely to explode;
Add one or 2 side gear shims to the stock ones. As many as you can make fit. It will make it act like a limited slip. Worked great on my snow wheeling rig.

Willgeezy88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/1992
Make / Model
Ranger/explorer
Transmission
Manual
Ill keep the shim idea in mind...Yeah that's all this truck is doing is snow or straight line muddrag I got 1st in the small tire class which was 35s and under although there was only myself and 3 other competitors lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals