• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 30 HP

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
so i just made a deal with a guy who was selling his hp dana 30. im gonna weld his exhaust on his jeep for a his old axle that came out of a 93 yj(leaf sprung). i was gonna do a leafspring set-up for the sas and dont plan on doin a whole helluva lot of wheelin out here in socal. im gonna do most when i get out of the Corps and move back to Oklahoma. plan on doin trails and not so much rocks or anything. well n e way, i was wondering what you guys thought. good choice to do leafs or coilovers. leafs are very easy compared to coilovers and plus i already have the perches and leafs out of a yj. and if i do go that route, should i use the yj leafs or fins something else?

thanks gents.

Toreadorranger

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the yj leafs are way to soft. You would need to add some leafs to them to make them work in a ranger.

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
i can use yota leafs but back to the main question... leafs or coilovers?

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother installing that frontend. It's got the small joints and has the CAD setup. On top of the fact you have a heavy extended cab truck. I wouldn't put any dana 30 in it. Go straight for a D44 and save yourself the hassle of doing it later.

c_note

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
they used the same exact axle on a Petersons 4wheel mag. on a ranger. my buddy runs a dana 30 in his cj with a 360 v8 on 35 boggers and 4.88s with a twin stick t-case and 4:1. hasnt snapped anything but the bellhousing twice and he beats the hell out of it in some of the toughest trails in socal.

my old wj had a dana 30 and it was a 4.7 v8 and weighed the exact same amount as my ranger. and i never broke anything. so dont think its too small for a`ranger although bigger is better in this case. thanks for the advice but since its pretty much a free axle, i think i wanna go ahead and use it. plus a dana 44 out here goes for 500 and up. might as well get a currie 9" with the gears of your choice and bolt pattern.

Last edited:

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
they used the same exact axle on a Petersons 4wheel mag. on a ranger.
Just so you know they also installed chromo shafts with the big joints in that axle. Do whatever you want, just given you the heads up. Also, if money is a problem, you shouldn't even be doing the swap in the first place. You'll just end up bootyfabin things together to get it done cheaper. What kind of D44 goes for $500? An early bronco 44? I'd look around for a waggy 44. They can be had for next to nothing most of the time.

Last edited:

Snurfer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
that ranger was only a single cab too. if you are going to use a D30 go with the 95-99 out of a cherokee. they have the bigger u joints and dont use vacuum disconnect. that would be the best one to put under your truck. coilover arent cheap in the slighest. if you've a decent bank account then you could do the coilovers, but id go with leafs, its just more simple

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
they used the same exact axle on a Petersons 4wheel mag. on a ranger.
Yeah... and they are retarded for having done it. It's a downgrade in gear strength from what you have now.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i have noticed that the magazine as a whole seems to be becoming more friendly toward rangers in general. i think that eventually they will put a bigger axle under the front of it. just thinking about how those projects usually go.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals