Dana 44 front axle but from what?

SpudZero

Reaction score
I have a dana 44 I just picked up and it's a bit of a mystery to me as to what it might have come from.

This is not my first d44, but it's my first d44 with "wedgies" as I generally always pass on these simply because I prefer the leaf spring versions from the F250's.

Now I do know that the wedges are for the ford radius arms, but it's my understanding that all bronco's and F100/ F150's were all 2.75 OD tube and varying wall thickness upto 1/2", only F250 had the larger 3"OD tubes.

Ok, so what I have is a 3" OD tube, 1/2" thick walls, with the radius arm wedges that are the cast type, not the two piece weld on type, and it has the full size 5 lug knuckles.... so not an F250 for sure.

The seller wasn't sure himself what it was from, but he thought it might have been 78/79 full size F150, is it possible Ford used 3" OD 1/2" tubes for some special reason? maybe a super cab?

If you can help me ID this one that would be great! The only numbers I can get off this one are 620072R from the bottom of the center section.

Thank you!

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 173A8B749AB83C Expires: January 1, 2020

rusty ol ranger

2.9L Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have a dana 44 I just picked up and it's a bit of a mystery to me as to what it might have come from.

This is not my first d44, but it's my first d44 with "wedgies" as I generally always pass on these simply because I prefer the leaf spring versions from the F250's.

Now I do know that the wedges are for the ford radius arms, but it's my understanding that all bronco's and F100/ F150's were all 2.75 OD tube and varying wall thickness upto 1/2", only F250 had the larger 3"OD tubes.

Ok, so what I have is a 3" OD tube, 1/2" thick walls, with the radius arm wedges that are the cast type, not the two piece weld on type, and it has the full size 5 lug knuckles.... so not an F250 for sure.

The seller wasn't sure himself what it was from, but he thought it might have been 78/79 full size F150, is it possible Ford used 3" OD 1/2" tubes for some special reason? maybe a super cab?

If you can help me ID this one that would be great! The only numbers I can get off this one are 620072R from the bottom of the center section.

Thank you!
Probably from a "sno-fighter" package truck. Basically a snow plow prep package.

SpudZero

Reaction score
Ok, thank you, I figured it was something to do with a "heavy duty" package or along those lines.

Bird76Mojo

Reaction score
Probably from a "sno-fighter" package truck. Basically a snow plow prep package.
Everything I've read says the Sno-Fighter package used a D60.

SpudZero

Reaction score
Well, there goes that, this is definitely not a 60 as it's a HP not a LP and it's 5 lug not 8.. so back to my original guess, Supercab? I think that can be the only reason that or dana ran out of 2.75 tubes lol

rusty ol ranger

2.9L Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The super cabs had leaf sprung front ends.

You are also right about the sno fighters, those were all D60s.