• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 44 Info Please

Duck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I do realize I am on a Ranger site but I've tried about every other site I can think of or find. I have a 87 F-150 4x4 with manual hubs, they are the ranger style 1 piece units. 1 of them is trash now and they are expensive. My question is; what year dana 44 ttb's interchange? or do they all interchange? I am talking about the whole axle assembly from hub to hub. I found 1 from a 90 f-150 and I would think that it will bolt right in but I need to be sure before I go thru all the trouble. I am smart enough to verify the ratio, you'd be surprised at how many times I've heard about that. This is a daily driver so I can't afford to have it sitting cause something didn't work. Thanks for any help or insight anyone might be able to offer.

hitech_hick

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I do realize I am on a Ranger site but I've tried about every other site I can think of or find. I have a 87 F-150 4x4 with manual hubs, they are the ranger style 1 piece units. 1 of them is trash now and they are expensive. My question is; what year dana 44 ttb's interchange? or do they all interchange? I am talking about the whole axle assembly from hub to hub. I found 1 from a 90 f-150 and I would think that it will bolt right in but I need to be sure before I go thru all the trouble. I am smart enough to verify the ratio, you'd be surprised at how many times I've heard about that. This is a daily driver so I can't afford to have it sitting cause something didn't work. Thanks for any help or insight anyone might be able to offer.
So let me get this straight, one of your hubs quit working, so you are ditching the entire axle? Sounds like you are throwing out the baby with the bath water. If it is just a hub, find one from a junk yard, it will be cheaper and a lot easier than swapping out the whole axle.

hick

Duck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am on my 2nd set of boneyard hubs and both sets were questionable when I got them, new they are 275. Ford only used this style manual hub for a year and a half, 87 to 88.5. To change to the normal style hubs I have to change the outer axle stubs, rotors, hubs and spindles + bearings and hubs. I did find a donor axle, a friend has one he just had rebuilt for his truck but before he could install it some scumbag stole his truck and its never been seen again. He will sell it to me cheap since were friends, now since it is all new inside and out why would I swap parts if I could just swap the whole thing? Prolly would have been easier if I has stated that before. Mine has 168K on it, his is all new everything so if it will work its a no brainer. His is out of a 90 F-150. Sorry, should have been more clear about this but thans for the reply :)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yes, the '90 axle is a 100% direct swap (you also can swap just the knuckles out onto your '87 axle as well).

Duck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. I just figured a direct swap would be easier. A guy at work offered me a free front axle out of a 87 Bronco but I am thinking it is auto hubs, he said it looks like it has a electric motor attached to it. I have no idea what he is talking about, I have never had auto hubs on a older full size or seen anything like that attached to a front axle on one either. My friend told me tonight he will take 120 bucks for the 90 axle, I almost feel guilty for getting it that cheap. When I said it was all new I mean it is all brand spanking new except the housings, I almost fell over when he said 120 and its mine.

Duck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I went and looked at the 87 Bronco parts. The electric motor he was talking about was the shift motor on the t-case, I have no idea where he got front axle from. We bought the whole drivetrain, running 5.0, auto, t case, shafts and front and rear axles, and a few other parts for 200. It has my manual hubs I want and I could use the rear as long as I can change over yokes and I don't see why I can't.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals