• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Difference in Offenhauser Intake Manifolds

Tim russell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Model a
Transmission
Automatic
I have no idea if I would ever pursue a new intake manifold for my 2.8 in my B2, but after a little looking around today, I noticed that there are two listed on summit's site that say they will work for the 2.8 V6. They have two different model numbers too: 6097 T vs 6097 DP.

Anyone know what the difference is? Maybe I missed it on the web page, but I'm not sure I understand anything other than the larger price difference between them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-6097t

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-6097dp

Just debating whether I would drop any more coin into my 2.8 to see how it would do...
This is the bottom half

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As has been stated the 6097t is top half for a 6097dp.

Back when these engines were new, Offenhauser also offered a 2 barrel intake version for them. Years ago I was searching for a 2 barrel version of the intake but had no luck. If I remember right from what I learned while researching, they offered the 6097t so that owners of the 2 barrel version could upgrade without replacing the entire intake manifold.

boozehero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
TVR 280i
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1985 TVR 2.8i - Look it up... A pic of my car is on the internet. It's one of the red ones.

It has a Euro Ford 2.8 in it, and the Euro 2 exhaust port heads. It also has Bosch K Jetronic injection (CRAP).
It makes (supposedly) 160 HPs. Anyway, I am going to jettison the Bosch Jetronic and dump the heads in favor of the US 2.8 version 3 exhaust port heads.
I bought a used Offy DP intake for the 2.8 and decided to go in a different direction...
I bought a few sets of US version 2.8 heads and installed 2.9 valves and seats - bigger!.
I match ported everything and unshrouded the intake valves and did some bowl work too..
I also contacted To Morana @ Tom Morana racing and sent him a stock 2 barrel intake which he converted to a 4 barrel. ($$$$ I might add) He did a super nice job.
I also bought a pretty stout cam and aluminum timing gear set, as well as a Mallory distributor with a HyFire control box
Maybe I can get an honest 180 HPs out of it.

Anyway, what does all of this have to do with the Offy intake?
If anyone is interested, I will probably sell it. I'll try to post pix soon.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I also contacted To Morana @ Tom Morana racing and sent him a stock 2 barrel intake which he converted to a 4 barrel. ($$$$ I might add) He did a super nice job.
There was a member on here many years ago that did the same converting a factory 2bbl intake into a 4bbl intake. It wasn't as nice of a conversion as what Morana will do I'm sure, but IIRC he was pretty happy with the results. I don't recall what carb he used on it. He was running dual side pipes. IIRC it was a regular cab long bed that he painted yellow, blue and white (or maybe red?). I wish I could remember the fella's name so you could look it up, but if the threads still exist they are probably buried deep in this section and I probably posted in them.

boozehero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
TVR 280i
Transmission
Manual
I also have several Chevy S10s. I set up a 3.4 (larger 2.8) that really has some good bag to it.

Anyway, I'll have to post pix when I return home.
I'll be installing the custom built heads, Morana modified 2 barrel intake, a Holley 390 CFM carb, headers
(I have to custom build them) and the Mallory distributor and Hyfire control box.
I don't know what this will be worth in terms of HPs, but at any rate, it will be more reliable than the lousy Bosch injection currently on the car.
As far as I know, the Mallory distributor was discontinued a long time ago. I was lucky to find this one new in box on Ebay.
I am hoping to return home by mid February.
Here's a pic of my TVR...
KIMG0189.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals