• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Difficulty getting 4hi to disengage

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Recently installed a transfer case from an Explorer into my 2002 Ranger. At first, it was necessary to back up to disengage the 4WD. After a dozen or so times of doing this it suddenly began to act normally and disengage itself while moving forward! Now, a simple torque interruption is enough to kick it back to 2WD. The 4WD dash light seems to reflect only the position of the switch, not the status of the TC underneath. I'm not sure what to make of this, except I'm glad it works although I still don't trust it and feel the need every time after flicking the switch to verify that disengagement has taken place.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Shift motor.

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Thank you. Shift motor is not dead. TC goes into and out of 4lo just fine. What do you think the shift motor is doing or not doing? Why did going into reverse help disengage 4hi? Is it just stiff or weak? If weak, why have I had no problems since the problem went away?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thank you. Shift motor is not dead. TC goes into and out of 4lo just fine. What do you think the shift motor is doing or not doing? Why did going into reverse help disengage 4hi? Is it just stiff or weak? If weak, why have I had no problems since the problem went away?
If the tcase came out of a boneyard, chances are its sat a while. Thats pry why. It was just gummy. But if it continues id swap the motor

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4WD lights reflect the position of the Contact Wheel on the transfer case shift motor, not the switch on the dash

There should always be a delay from when you make a selection on the dash to when the 4WD light comes on, or goes off

Pictures here of the inside of the shift motor: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

You can see the contact wheel and the contacts, wheel turns with the shift rod so 4x4 module knows what position transfer case is in
BUT...........there is an adjustment, so maybe your contact wheel is not aligned properly so not fully in 4high
Select 4high then pull off the shift motor and see if shift rod is points at 4H
Shift rod is pointed at 2H(2WD) in the picture, so should move 90 deg counter clockwise to 4H

Neutral is directly across from 2H so if shifting manually be careful, truck can ROLL AWAY if you move transfer case to Neutral

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Wow. I am impressed and awed with what it takes to be a real expert. 4WD is more complicated than I thought. My previous experience has always been with manual shifters. I will observe more closely but I know now that I will need to seek local help if the problem recurs. This Xfer case does not leak or make noise and I intend to keep it. I use 4WD a lot because of all the hills and gravel roads around here. I even have to use 4WD to back up my upper driveway without mussing it up. Thank you for your reply. It was very educational. Sometimes I yearn for more simple (from the mechanical point of view) rather than more easy (from the end user point of view). Cars are now getting even more ridiculously mechanically complicated.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LOL, yes automation has its downside, but way more of an upside.............when its working

But it reads like you just need an adjustment

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

I'll address only the issue in red.
when in 4wd the transfer case has a solid lock between the front and rear. tires and road surfaces not being perfect it doesn't take long before one end tries to go farther than the other. that puts a bind on the internals of the transfer case. perfectly normal operation, that's why you shouldn't use 4wd on dry pavement. on slippery stuff a tire slips to keep the binding at a reasonable amount. when you disengage 4wd the internals are frequently in a bind, and can't move. since they bind up going forward, they un-bind going in reverse. the shift rod rotating does not actually do the shifting, it puts pressure on a spring which puts pressure on a cam which pushes the shift forks to do the shifting when the gears line up. hitting bumps usually works just as good as backing up to relieve the binding, that way you can keep moving.

engine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
245 75 R16
Thanks much. Your reply is encouraging. Maybe the TC is just stiff from disuse which made it harder for the spring to do its job. There are plenty of bumps around here. I don't know much about the car the TC came from except that it was an Explorer that needed an engine transplant and had a transmission and TC left over. It might never have even used 4WD.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals