• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Directed 556U to bypass chipped key?

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
I have a 99 Ranger XLT and I believe I can put my only chipped key in this bypass and use non-chipped keys. Anyone have any experience with this kind of install?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
These types of immobilizer interfaces are to use for remote start setups, you don't need this if you just want to use "regular keys"
These shouldn't let anyone use a regular key to start engine, that would means PATS was disabled and thats not what these are made for.
For remote start system when you open the door or touch the brake pedal the remote started engine should shutdown, and won't restart without working PATS key in the ignition.
This prevents a thief from driving off your vehicle as it warms up

To do what you want, get a Regular key cut/made, then remove the steering column cowl , 2 or 3 screws

You will see the Transceiver ring around the key slot, looks like this: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NZkAAOSwjVVVppqL/s-l300.jpg

This is what "reads" your PATS keys number when you turn on the key
Tape your PATS key next to the ring
Try to start engine with "regular key"
If THEFT light flashes rapidly it can't read the PATS key, try a different location for the key

Once it can read the PATS key each time regular key is turned on secure PATS key at that location and put cowling back on

Worst case is you have to remove the transceiver ring and move it down under the dash and tape the PATS key inside it so it can be read everytime

Alternative is to have your working PATS key Cloned, locksmith can cut key and Clone/Copy the same number on to a New PATS key, so you have a working spare key, at a lower cost than having new PATS keys added to PATS memory

Just FYI, this is what the 3rd party Remote start setups do, they "read" the key number during installation and setup, then they use that number during Remote start, so an electronic Clone of your current PATS key

Last edited:

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Just got around to making the Ranger ignition no longer require a chipped key. There wasn't enough space to put the key below the cowl and I didn't want to destroy the key. I used the solution suggested to remove the transceiver ring. It was relatively easy.

Put any key for the truck into the ignition, turn to run position
Use an awl and insert into the hole under the ignition to free the ignition lock cylinder assembly
Pull ignition lock cylinder assembly straight out
Remove the single torx screw holding on the transceiver ring
I zip tied the chipped key to the ring with chip beyond the ring, like it would normally be positioned
Test that the truck starts and runs with a non chipped key
Put the ring and chipped key in the dash under the steering column.

Works great. Thanks RonD for the advice.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For some reason I thought the Directed module was designed to be paired to the PATS module as if it was another key rather than requiring a bypass.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 3rd party remote start modules need to "read" a working PATS key number during setup, they store that number in memory and then send it out to PATS module or PCM when remote start is activated.
So same as starting engine with that working PATS key in the ignition, so its not a "bypass" its same as getting a "cloned" PATS key

Ford Remote start units use an "electronic" PATS key, it has a new number and it must be added to the PATS Module or PCM just like a new PATS key would be added

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I had to go back and check the instructions for mine (haven't installed it yet), but it appears to be identical to the factory Ford remote starts in that respect. It's a Directed 555P, and here's the relevant section of the instructions:
The module has a fixed key code. This is hard-coded into memory. Programming consists of learning the module into the vehicle. Note that two vehicle keys are required for this procedure.
Learn Routine
1. Using 1st key, turn ignition to the ON position for 2 seconds (the “Theft” light will turn off). Remove the ignition key.
2. Repeat step 1 using the 2nd key.
3. Start the vehicle with the remote starter. The “Theft” light should turn ON then OFF after a few seconds.

Programming is now complete.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that would be an "electronic key" like Ford system uses, requires two "working" PATS keys to add a 3rd, or 4th

Other 3rd party units just require you to turn on ignition with working key, and it reads that keys number and stores it to memory to use for remote start

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals