• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Distinguishing a ‘02 Ranger from XLT or FX4?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So someone bought a 2002 FX4 Off-Road, then paid extra for automatic and electric transfer case, which would be standard on XLT, just so they could get 4 better shocks and better rear axle??

PT Barnum was RIGHT

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I am not sure you had to pay extra for an automatic 02 FX4. If so, it was not much more. I do know it was much less difficult to find an 02 FX4 with an automatic than it was with a manual. I went through that search and experience it myself.

There was a bit more to a FX4 than just better shocks and rear axle. They also had the Alcoa wheels with 31" BFG AT tires, stainless steel front tow hooks with a tow hook in the rear, skid plates and more durable seats. It was much more capable off-road from the factory than a standard XLT. Sure you could build the same thing yourself from a XLT but I doubt you could save money doing it. Plus you would spend a lot of time working on it rather than being out doing what it was meant to do. Mine has served me well and is still providing my off-road fun at 242K miles. It has been upgraded a little through that years though.

I will add my assurance to the OP that the Ranger in questions is truly an authentic FX4. Either that or someone went to a lot of trouble and expense to imitate one.

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I personally see alot more '02 FX4/'03+ Lvl IIs with automatic transmission then 5 speed manuals here in the northeast.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Why, oh WHY won't Duh Parts Gods deliver a manual '02 FX4 or '03 FX4 Level II to mah local U-Pick JY?? :(

I personally see alot more '02 FX4/'03+ Lvl IIs with automatic transmission then 5 speed manuals here in the northeast.
You're just trying to make me cry... won't work... it's just my allergies, really...

Neil Teske

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Or you can just look up your VIN code and it'll tell you what it is and where it was born

Neil Teske

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Or you can just look up your VIN code and it'll tell you what it is and where it was born
I had a 91 that was a split year I had to know what plant it was made in the wheelbase what month of the year was born in order to buy parts

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals