• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DIY HID Projector solution

BOL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for info i almost bought some and stuck em in but now i wont

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I am now lost. I know just putting HID lights in a stock housing is not street legal but is this conversion kit with the projectors a legal mod?

Dusty_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
id still buy i set.... then one punch that one dude who's on a anger rage a few posts back

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
is this conversion kit with the projectors a legal mod?
yes it is a legal mod because the projector in the kit has an HID lens, it is DOT approved, and meets the minimum required diameter for a headlight in the U.S.

if it could be mounted with out the housing it would still be legal. the housing is irrelevant in this case.

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sweet I'm going to get a set.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Ok I will admit that I run a HID kit on mine. If you think about this LOGICALLY you will not get in trouble if you are not DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL. I have several friends that are cops and they have told me this. I am not a young kid anymore and obey the law for the most part. This should not be a battle of wits or a war of words. If you install a kit w/o correct housing and DO something ILLEGAL, your dumb ass needs to be punished. I am not saying that what I am doing is not right either but the likelihood of me getting in trouble JUST because of my lights is very slim.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
More than likely you want get pulled over just for lights, although ive seen it happen. the main thing with HIDs though is that it blinds everyone else. Even though you might not get a ticket for having them, its still a hazard.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
instead of making a new thread for my question i'm gonna bump this one. i hope people's tempers have cooled off since november lol

for the auction the OP posted a link to, or similar kits, it says this:

"Please give us your order bulb size and color through paypal note or ebay message otherwise we will delay ship the order.

can be choosen hid size and projector lens color as following:

XENON BULB SIZE: H1, H7, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, H4(D2S)

BULB COLOR: ONLY 6000K AVAILABLE

PROJECTOR LENS COLOR: BLUE ; WHITE ; GREEN (add 15 USD); ORANGE (add 15 USD) if you don't leave the color we will send BLUE OR WHITE by random)"

now the bolded part is what my question is about, is that the size of the bulb you have originally? so for us it would be 9007, or is it the size of bulb you want to put into the projector? i've been looking at retro fits of acura projector's since I got my truck in 07, but this seems wayyyyyyy easier and cheaper. also, how do they hold up? not only on the street, but bouncing around offroad. with the weight of the projector, i'd hate to be out on the trail and have my headlight break on me

Thanks guys!

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
instead of making a new thread for my question i'm gonna bump this one. i hope people's tempers have cooled off since november lol

for the auction the OP posted a link to, or similar kits, it says this:

"Please give us your order bulb size and color through paypal note or ebay message otherwise we will delay ship the order.

can be choosen hid size and projector lens color as following:

XENON BULB SIZE: H1, H7, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, H4(D2S)

BULB COLOR: ONLY 6000K AVAILABLE

PROJECTOR LENS COLOR: BLUE ; WHITE ; GREEN (add 15 USD); ORANGE (add 15 USD) if you don't leave the color we will send BLUE OR WHITE by random)"

now the bolded part is what my question is about, is that the size of the bulb you have originally? so for us it would be 9007, or is it the size of bulb you want to put into the projector? i've been looking at retro fits of acura projector's since I got my truck in 07, but this seems wayyyyyyy easier and cheaper. also, how do they hold up? not only on the street, but bouncing around offroad. with the weight of the projector, i'd hate to be out on the trail and have my headlight break on me

Thanks guys!
to answer your question ..... yes, the size of the HID refers to the size of the bulb your headlight housing requires.

as far as how well they hold up ....... I have not bought a set yet so i could not tell you. but as with any bulb for an off roader ......... carry spares.

Fast Fords

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Buick
Engine Size
3.1L
Transmission
Automatic
the worst part is the dick hats that drive their hummers/raised pick-ups with those HID bulbs in their stock light housing, and ride your ass!! Might be nice for you other people, and maybe better vision at night, but holy batman! when you are behind me an I can't see AT ALL, isn' that a little unsafe??

Anywho, good thing i looked at this thread..i always wanted to get projectors for my truck, but i'll just get the diamond clear headlights an decent bulbs..

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Bumping just to keep this near at hand for any new guys...

I have HID bulbs in the stock 03 housings right now because my projectors are in texas($%&!). But i have been right in front of my truck with my current lights and it doesn't glare too bad. also my friend has the same bulbs and ballasts in his mustang and they aren't terrible either(may be because his lenses are fogged over lol). But I definitely can't wait to get the projectors in so i can have the proper aim instead of them being low.

And the worst are the HIDs on the trucks with major cali leans...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
thank you BDAB

but to the OP very cool project i know this thread is old but nice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals