• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do we have a Brake Controller Plugin?

Bartowski

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi All!

I have a 2003 Ranger Edge with the 4.0 and towing package - does anyone know for sure if it should have the clip/connector under the dash to attach a brake controller? I've seen a few threads on it, with lots of guessing, but no one saying yay or nay. Just figured I'd ask before digging around or buying and adapter. Going to hook up a 7-pin connector as well, but that end should be fairly easy! Thanks for the help!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There probably isn't a definitive answer, so no confusion over it.

A Blue wire is the universal standard for electric trailer brakes so see if you have a Blue wire in the trailer connector, if you don't then there is no e-brake wire

Good look here at wire colors Ford and others used for trailer hook ups: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TrailerLights.shtml

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The only definitive answer I have is "I've never seen one". I've put in a few 7-pin connectors in Rangers and have had to run a heavy blue brake wire and a heavy red battery +ve wire from the aftermarket brake controller at the dash.
My wag is the ranger isn't meant for heavy towing so they never put in a 7-pin tow package.
The Ranger I'm driving now shows signs of a fifth wheel hitch and came with the 7-pin already installed [not factory].

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
To the best of my knowledge no. Ford never had a factory option for a 7-pin trailer connector on a Ranger, and thus did not include a factory hook up for a trailer brake controller.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My opinion: 7 pin wiring isn't included in the Ranger Electrical and Vacuum Trouble shooting manual, so I'll put my money on not there.

Ford was too...frugal...to include wiring for Power Window/Mirrors in vehicles which didn't have them, and that is just wire across width of dash. To run wire from cab to rear bumper is considerably longer...

On other hand, given Ranger's rated towing capacity/almost every state & province's legislation requires trailer brakes; they certainly should have included it.

I know vacuum & surge brakes don't require 7 pin connectors, but e-brakes are so much more convenient.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'd say no. Theres a lot of full size trucks that don't even have the plug-n-play harnesses. The ranger is a mid-size truck and not really made to tow anything that requires a 7-way plug or brake controller. I'd say if you are towing something and you want a brake controller then you may be towing out of the leagues of a rangers capabilities. I work at an RV/camper dealership so I see the wrong trucks towing things waaaay to heavy all the time and it becomes a safety hazard. I don't like nagging but if you are trying to tow something that shouldn't be towed behind a "half ton" truck then you put yourself and other drivers around in danger, let alone the strain on the transmission and suspension.

heavy breather

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd say no. Theres a lot of full size trucks that don't even have the plug-n-play harnesses. The ranger is a mid-size truck and not really made to tow anything that requires a 7-way plug or brake controller. I'd say if you are towing something and you want a brake controller then you may be towing out of the leagues of a rangers capabilities. I work at an RV/camper dealership so I see the wrong trucks towing things waaaay to heavy all the time and it becomes a safety hazard. I don't like nagging but if you are trying to tow something that shouldn't be towed behind a "half ton" truck then you put yourself and other drivers around in danger, let alone the strain on the transmission and suspension.
I fully understand your concern, but IMO, having brakes on even a small trailer behind one of these trucks is an improvement. I also want to add a brake controler, and I only really tow a 4wheeler or two.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals