• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Does my 4.0 need cold air?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Not based on what the aftermarket sellers are offering but because the stock air intake tube is missing from the airbox along with it hot air ducts from the manifold missing I feel I need to do something,. Should I at least get a flexible 3 inch round and duct it from behind the grill next to the radiator to the airbox? Cleaned the MAF not even six months ago it pings pretty bad again,when it's warm or hot outside. In any case, I don't want hot under the hood air going in the intake right?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
As beneficial as cold air is to performance you won't notice much difference. My hood duct has been missing since I moved three years ago, I haven't missed it enough to go find one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does it "need" it, no, is it better with it, yes

Its called the Inlet Duct, 1993 4.0l would use FO7Z-9A624-C part number I think, which is "no longer available", lol

Yes, you could use flexible duct to plumb in cooler fresh air, either thru the front of rad support as Ford did or just down lower in engine bay
Air should not be all that hot in engine bay where the inlet is on air cleaner box now

Back when there were carbs sitting on top of the engine where ALL the hot air lived, lol, was when the Cold Air Intake got its start, and it really made a difference then
With air filter off to the side and lower down, when using fuel injection, it isn't such a big deal

As far as pinging in warmer weather, you could try another IAT sensor, air temp sensor, that's on the upper intake of the 4.0l OHV
If you were to used 91 octane does the pinging stops completely?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
IAT sensor.... Ok
Ping stops with 90 +
I'm quite sure I can rig up some type of cold air intake after a whole lifetime in HVAC Lol

Than you!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pinging "starts" above 90degF?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sorry, 90+ octane. No ping

And yes it does start to ping when the temperature reaches upper 80s 90s because it gets quite hot underneath the hood that goes without saying.

Also it does not ping, when it's very humid and raining I mentioned that on another thread once.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be running a bit Lean then

4 Liter engine computer already knows exactly how much air is coming in at any RPM with any Throttle position, its just Math which is what the computer does, on the fly fast math calculations
4.0l engine will pull in 4 liters of air every 2 RPM at wide open throttle, so math just works backwards from there, but thats all been done and is in tables in computers memory

MAF sensor is there to tell computer the WEIGHT of the incoming air, because air:fuel ratios are all by weight not volume
Computer is set for sea level air weight at approx. 65degF outside air temp, I believe

MAF sensor works by sampling about 10% of incoming air, it uses a heated wire that is cooled by the air passing by it, how much it is cooled allows computer to calculate its weight, based on RPM and throttle position

colder air is heavier so requires more fuel to be added
Higher elevation has lighter air so less fuel added

humid air "acts" as colder/heavier air because moisture cools the MAF more than dry air, so computer adds more fuel

So if it pings less with humid air that dry air at the same outside temp I would guess Lean mix when air is drier

It will be a small difference in a sensor since it only does it with warm dry air

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I'll rig up a duct, clean the MAF, maybe get an IAT it's not very expensive.
For the first time since I've had this truck (almost exactly a year) I can actually drive at highway speeds!
Thanks!

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Also if the MAFS is dirty it will not “see” all of the air that flows over it, making the processor think the air flow is less than it is. That will result in lean conditions, at least when it is open loop.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I cleaned it last summer it was very very dirty but I don't think would be dirty again but it's easy to do with the right security torx now that is in the collection

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, a coating of "dirt" on the MAF acts as an insulator so air flow doesn't cool the sensor as much, so computer sees/thinks lighter air so adds less fuel.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals