• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door ajar

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
Getting my butt kicked on a 2000 ford excursion. Working on my bosses excursion, replaced axle seals in front axle,and replaced all four door locks actuators. Was roar testing it and the door ajar light and dome lights came on. So i had no luck with wd-40, i pulled all six switches. One in each door and two in the rear lift hatch. Cleaned each one and did a ohms test on each one. Showed to be working put them back and same thing. I checked for broken wires in drivers door going back in the A pillar didn't find. What am i missing, dame thing is eating my lunch. I've checked the relays 1&2 under dash replaced the battery saver relay. any help would be appreciated. P.S. whats this GEM i seen in a few places and has to be re flashed.:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
GEM is generic electronic module, it controls all the body electronics.

Get a good scanner, pull up the GEM PID list and find your door ajar statuses, should be abbreviated something like drajarsw_XX. This will narrow it down to which door you need to focus on. Then get into the door, find the wires for the door ajar switch, and use a paper clip to jumper them to each other. If the light goes out the switch is bad. If it doesn't, you have a wiring or module issue.

Ohm test is not the end all, be all of electrical tests.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
I have had a jumper in each plug end , one at a time and lights stay on. Then i put a jumper in all six plug ends at the same time they stay on. Sometimes they go off after the 20 or 30 mins timer turns them off. I replaced the two relays under dash i think top one is the timer and second one is battery saver and they stay on longer. It's nuts how they are working or not working.:icon_confused:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It sounds like you have a wiring problem.

Even though the dash doesn't tell you which it is the module should still have that information. You need a scanner that either does GEM PIDs or at least GEM codes.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
We went out and bought a Zurick ZR8 and a Zurick ZR11 scanner and hooked them up to the excursion and still can not find the GEM module or anything relating to it to test it. Are you familiar with the scanners and if so do you know if we can do it with these scanners or do we need a special scanner or any other way of diagnosing theGEM module? Your help is greatly appreciated.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not familiar with the Zurick units.

If I could get my hands on an IDS I'd start there, with ForScan being a close second. From there I'd go to the Snap-On units or a Genisys.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
door ajar

We went out and bought a Zurick ZR8 and a Zurick ZR11 scanner and hooked them up to the excursion and still can not find the GEM module or anything relating to it to test it. Are you familiar with the scanners and if so do you know if we can do it with these scanners or do we need a special scanner or any other way of diagnosing theGEM module? Your help is greatly appreciated.:icon_confused:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
We went out and bought a Zurick ZR8 and a Zurick ZR11 scanner and hooked them up to the excursion and still can not find the GEM module or anything relating to it to test it. Are you familiar with the scanners and if so do you know if we can do it with these scanners or do we need a special scanner or any other way of diagnosing theGEM module? Your help is greatly appreciated.
We went out and bought a Zurick ZR8 and a Zurick ZR11 scanner and hooked them up to the excursion and still can not find the GEM module or anything relating to it to test it. Are you familiar with the scanners and if so do you know if we can do it with these scanners or do we need a special scanner or any other way of diagnosing theGEM module? Your help is greatly appreciated.:icon_confused:
Did a heavy kid jump and make the record skip?

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
door ajar

Yes sir, habit double click. as it is now all four side doors will turn on the dome lights but they stay on when you close the door. but the rear hitch you lift it lights don't come on. I have to unplug both switches for lights to come on. plug them back in dome lights stay till 20 min. timer.

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
give up

Well i give up on these door ajar and dome lights. This has a short somewhere, almost every day it dose something different. the other day i turn off dome lights by hitting one of the buttons on the drivers seat. But after awhile they come back on. Boss man said install a override switch. Now got to find the right wires for that. You guys was a lot of help and thanks. I know a lot more about this screwed up system.:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Does the windshield leak any?

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
give up

No sir not that i and see. I've had the fuse box out and looked at the GEM. Looks ok took one out of his other excursion that is working ok. No change, he has two gas v-10 excursions and two diesels.:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals