• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door rattle

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have a 2006 Ford ranger and my driver door is rattling. I live in the country on dirt road and that's when it's worse. On regular pavement you never hear it. I've tried moving the door up and down and there no play on hinges but there's play when you close it. It's like it's not closing all the way. You can push on it and it goes in a little and comes back out.I took the door bump stop of passenger and tried switching and it still does it. What would cause it to do this? Any help would be appreciated as it is driving me crazy

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Your strikers are probably missing the plastic bushing more than likely. They age, get brittle, and crack. Then eventually they fall off. You can use some small pieces of Pex tubing over the striker bolt, or just buy new strikers at any parts store. If not, then RockAuto will have them I imagine.

https://www.ebay.com/i/351894022723?chn=ps

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Neither one of my striker plates have bushings on them and only the driver side rattles

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

sometimes the bushings on the door hinges (pins) go bad. had the same rattle on my mustang ( i think). couldnt feel any play in the door ,but replacing those bushings fixed it. not sure if rangers even have rhose bushings
EDIT,: $6.95 @ "otto's own"/ Add Vance

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Usually you can lift up on the tail end of the door and see/feel any play in the pins or bushings. Even if you can't feel it, someone else can watch the pins and still see them move.

Rubber door seals being flattened/cracked from age can also cause some door rattles.

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
@ ranger850 I've checked play up and down and there is none but I can shut my door and push on it and it's got play going in and out I've posted a picture of my striker plate and there are no bushings on that and from the wear shown on the plates I don't think there ever was. I will check to see if it has the bushings on the hinges but will that cause in and out play? I would think that would just be up and down but I'm not for sure!

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
im not sure either, but it helped me with my mustang.the only indication that something was wrong, was the rattle over bumps that came from the door.

Yspecv19

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@ ranger850 I've checked play up and down and there is none but I can shut my door and push on it and it's got play going in and out I've posted a picture of my striker plate and there are no bushings on that and from the wear shown on the plates I don't think there ever was. I will check to see if it has the bushings on the hinges but will that cause in and out play? I would think that would just be up and down but I'm not for sure!
Did you figure anything out yet? My 04 has the same kind of rattle but just when you hit bumps. Thanks

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try loosening the torx bolts slightly and tap the striker/latch with a hammer to move it in towards the interior. Then tighten the bolts. The weather stripping may be compressed just enough to allow the door to rattle and by adjusting the striker you can get rid of the rattle.

justins81213

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put a piece of tube on my striker plate where the latch latches and took the rattle right out but the tube won't stay because I had to cut it open to slide it over so that leads me to believe my striker plate has just worn over the years or like someone else said the weather strip is worn allowing the door to come in more.

Is my striker plate adjustable? It looks like it is fixed in place. I have an 06 Ranger sport 3.0 2wd

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Try loosening the torx bolts slightly and tap the striker/latch with a hammer to move it in towards the interior. Then tighten the bolts.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
I don't believe his striker plate will really move any, due to the type of fasteners they used to secure them. They seem like a kind of countersunk fastener. (look at post #4)

But it's certainly worth a try.

I imagine the weatherstripping is compressed from being old, which is allowing the door to rattle.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
new weather stripping it is then.lol

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
It can really only be four things.

1 - weatherstripping
2 - striker
3 - Hinge pins/bushings
4 - Door latch malfunctioning/wore

Unless the frame is tweaked/bent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals