• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drift Truck Help

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been broke my whole life. That's not going to change anytime soon. So....
I wouldn't weld the rear diff, you will burn thru tires and have much more strain on the drivetrain. I would try a simple cheap trick to make a limited slip with your stock rear; add an extra side gear shim or as many as you can fit. It wears out fairly quick but I doubt you will get many miles on your truck before something breaks anyway. I personally done this on a 9" and a d28 front pumpkin. It works. I've never done this on a 7.5" or 8.8", but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Costs are the fluid, gasket, and shims.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I say look through the turbo section and fab up a turbo kit run it till it blows cut out your bed floor and gut as much weight as you can

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I look back at all the absolutely retarded nonsense I did when I was young, even at the great protest of those older and wiser... wow I was an idiot.

But sometimes you just gotta learn on your own. You gotta face all knowledge, intelligence, facts, science, and physics and say "THE HELL WITH YOU!"

Nature will sort this out in the end.

LetErEat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B2300
Transmission
Manual
I've been broke my whole life. That's not going to change anytime soon. So....
I wouldn't weld the rear diff, you will burn thru tires and have much more strain on the drivetrain. I would try a simple cheap trick to make a limited slip with your stock rear; add an extra side gear shim or as many as you can fit. It wears out fairly quick but I doubt you will get many miles on your truck before something breaks anyway. I personally done this on a 9" and a d28 front pumpkin. It works. I've never done this on a 7.5" or 8.8", but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Costs are the fluid, gasket, and shims.
thanks for the suggestion might have to try it!

Crazymofo85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Danger ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have just bought a 1996 ford ranger 5 speed 2.3L and I want to turn it into a drift truck. Its got over 300,000 miles on it but it still runs and drives fine, I already plan to lower it with dream beams and a rear flip kit. I also plan to weld the diff, will it drift on the stock 2.3L power or will I need to swap/mod the engine and if so what even transmission could I put into it because I know for sure the stock 5 speed wont take much more power. Basically I wanna know if im going to have to fabricate my whole way thou this.

Thanks!
First and fore most I have read most of the posts in your thread and honestly they all are sort of right in their guidance. HOWEVER ultimately it should reflect your budget first and for most. My 06 ranger with the 2.5l( 2.3l with heavy heads) and a 5spd only has a little over 100k. I'm not sure what's around your area or what your week to week budget is but if you can afford it I would advise you to buy a beater with a heater and ac and park your truck, pull the engine, tear it down and over time rebuild it. My specialty per say is the Ford duratec engines. I've had a focus that I built that was NA keep up with a colbalt SS supercharged however at the time I was into street racing and that's not what you want. I would honestly say buy a beater to drive on the daily and completely rebuild your danger ranger motor over time. Definitely wanted it honed and bored and sleaved since your wanting to drift so most it's track time will be at high RPMs and go from there. You can always get a rear brake swap kit to convert it to disk which would help you be able to throw it into corners better than drum. Like I said everyone has good input. First and foremost is budget and second is your location.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals