• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driver side front sag

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure if this is the proper location for this thread since it's stock suspension, but in my defense it's 4WD ?

So I don't recall it being an issue when I first bought her but I noticed after my first off road adventure and having to get pulled out of the mud and someone's diesel was so loud they didn't hear my horn... I was drug up the entire hill instead of just out of the hole -_- The issue is that my driver front is slightly lower or seems to be than my passenger. I roughly tried to measure differences from frame to ground and coil spring heights on each side but couldn't find a difference or if I did it seemed miniscule. I've considered replacing the front springs but I've a feeling that's not the issue. It's visibly apparent, not just the fact that say you can put a first or X fingers between fender and tire on passenger side and not the same on driver, but you can see the lean, and the camber needs to be corrected to. Basically I'm wondering if anyone has the kinda front end/alignment experience that can point out something or a failure point/adjustment area I don't see or am not aware of? I'll try to get pics up tomorrow to show the trouble

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My Explorer sat a full inch lower on the driver's side. I did a bunch of things to fix it which included various rear leaf spring mods, swapping coils, different coils, and so on. My ultimate fix was spacers from Bronco Graveyard that go under the lower coil spring cup. You start with hex spacers, up to two of them, and then round spacers until you get the height you want. I used two hex and one round. It sits just a hair higher on the driver's side now. Get an alignment afterwards.

The reason for this is the extra weight on the driver's side, which includes but is not limited to that gas tank and driver.

Hex - https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Coil-Spring-Spacers-Pair/productinfo/93535/
Round - https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Coil-Spring-Spacers-Pair/productinfo/93537/

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This isn't due to extra weight though. Even when I don't have a few hundred pounds in fuel, some odd 2-300 in tools, and any passengers, the sag is there. It happened after an offroading escapade and being towed out of the mud. I can also tell the difference in pics when I bought it vs now

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would try swapping your front springs from side to side then and see what happens.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I roughly tried to measure differences from frame to ground and coil spring heights on each side but couldn't find a difference or if I did it seemed miniscule.
If the frame sits level but the truck still leans, check your body mounts. Is the rubber still good/ there? Did the bracket rot and the rubber dropped through the now lager hole?

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ahhhh I hadn't thought about that. I'll check that out hopefully this evening. Wanting to do new bushings and spruce things up but $$$ I tell ya

ZeroHour

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would try swapping your front springs from side to side then and see what happens.
A buddy of mine mentioned doing that too. If I don't find any issues with the body mounts, then I'll try that. I may need to replace them anyway because I feel like the camber is off enough that adjustable camber bolts wouldn't correct it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals