• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

driveshaft issue after drop

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
I dropped my truck about 3" in the front and approximately 5" in the rear. Now when I put the D-shaft in it BARELY fits. The shaft has no plunge and NO wiggle room. I know this is a bad scenario and can damage the transmission, but my question is how much shorter should my driveshaft be?

I need to be ordering one soon and just looking for some advise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you mark the driveshaft right at the end of the seal, then drop the rear of the shaft and pull it back some you should be able to see the wear ring from before. Measure from the first mark you made to the ring and get the shaft shortened that much.

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
If you mark the driveshaft right at the end of the seal, then drop the rear of the shaft and pull it back some you should be able to see the wear ring from before. Measure from the first mark you made to the ring and get the shaft shortened that much.
Seems simple enough. Ill take a look at it next week and see what I come up with. Thanks

djschick88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Cly
Transmission
Manual
Problem is I cant mark the driveshaft at the seal because the balance ring or whatever that thing is at the front of the driveshaft covers the seal.

When the driveshaft is completely installed it barely fits, with no wiggle room to move the drive forward or back. I've done a little research and it seems the driveshaft that came on my truck is the shortest one available.

would anyone have a guess at how much plunge a normal driveshaft has on these trucks. I figure I can figure that out and cut off the necessary amount.

Thanks

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would consult a transmission shop or driveshaft shop. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals