• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duratec 2.5 into '01 B2300 complete but No Fuel

bluej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I think this will be my first thread on TRS, but surely not the last.

I have an '01 B2300 that I bought w/ a perforated block/pan, and have finished swapping a '14 2.5 from a fusion in its place. I've re-used most of the ranger bits to just get it running on the stock computer for now. Long term includes custom terblo setup w/ a megasquirt dual install w/ stock ecu, but I want to be able to use it in the mean time while sorting the upcoming axle swap/suspension/interior refresh/etc.

Yesterday I attempted first start, but no dice. I seem to have spark. Motor cranks w/ compression just fine. I do not seem to have fuel.

I was able to start the (old) motor previously (loud and messy!) just to confirm that the rest of systems worked, but that was over a year ago.

By the end of the day yesterday, I only had a little time left for diagnosing. Results so far:
  • I could not hear the fuel pump run at any point throughout testing
  • Using the diagnostic port on the end of the fuel rail, it does not seem to have any pressure built up. We initially thought it might be air in the fuel line that needed to be evacuated, but jumping the fuel pump relay (definitely a good connection, sparks and the jumper wire got hot), still didn't lead to any noticeable air pressure or fuel escaping the port at the end of the rail.
It seems like the fuel pump may be dead. Does that make sense after sitting for at least a year, and more before that? It didn't seem like the PATS was causing the issue, but I guess it could be if it's preventing the fuel pump in addition to the injectors.

Basically, I'd love some ideas on how to diagnose the no-start before I proceed w/ dropping the tank and swapping the pump.

Thanks!
-Josh

bluej

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Confirmed yesterday it's not the inertia switch, but that's all I had time for last night. Is it possible to get at the connector for the fuel pump w/out dropping the tank or lifting the bed?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the part where the jumper wire got hot worries me. the pump shouldn't draw that much current.
did you do a resistance test from the inertia switch? going out of the switch, thru the pump motor then to ground should show a few ohms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals