• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ECC FAILURE?

kyle1468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
okay so I've been battling a no start issue on my 88 Ford Ranger with the 2.9L. I've replaced distributor ignition module plugs wires and cleaned everything even checked timing chain. i have fuel pressure at rail 35psi. weird thing is when i unplug SPOUT i have spark and truck starts off of starting fluid. when i plug SPOUT in i have no spark. i have ohm tested SPOUT wire to ECC checks out I've uncovered it to visibly make sure its good. i don't have anymore ideas i am puzzled as to why when its unplugged it will start but when SPOUT plugged in i lose spark. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Can you talk to the computer and get any codes from it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If fuel injectors are not working then yes it is most likely a Computer issue
Computer gets the PIP signal from TFI which the computer uses to time the injectors, actually just tells computer to wake up, engine is spinning, lol

Rangers all used the Grey colored TFI modules
Black ones were later models

SPOUT is spark advance from the computer, it serves the same purpose as Vacuum Advance did on older distributors
With fuel injection only the computer has "engine load" data, TFI just has RPM data

On the grey TFIs there is a START wire, this wire will have 12v when key is in START
This disables SPOUT connection inside the TFI module so base spark timing is used to start the engine, before spark advance is added

So you should have cranking spark regardless of SPOUT being connected or not

Article on TFI below, it has this quote
The early TFI system, which Ford calls the "Push Start" TFI system, uses a gray TFI module.
Originally, the module was mounted on the distributor. In the late '80s Ford began to relocate it away
from the distributor on some vehicles to provide better protection from the effects of engine heat, but
system operation remained the same. It uses a Hall effect pickup (stator) in the distributor, which
generates a battery voltage, 50% duty cycle square wave, called the PIP signal, to the EEC-U PCM
and the TFI module. The PCM processes this signal and sends out another battery voltage, 50% duty
cycle square wave, called the SPOUT signal, to the TFI module. As long as the TFI module is
receiving a SPOUT signal, it will fire the coil at the rising edge of that signal (except during engine
cranking, when SPOUT is ignored) and the vehicle will run with the amount of timing advance
commanded by the computer. If the TFI module does not receive the SPOUT signal, it will fire the
coil at the rising edge of the PIP signal, and the vehicle will run at base timing. This is true on all TFI
systems.
What's the spark timing when warm engine is running/idling without SPOUT connected?
Should be 10-12deg BTDC

And if you connect SPOUT, with engine still idling, spark timing should go to 20-22deg BTDC

Attachments

Last edited:

kyle1468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I can’t get it to stay running with spout disconnected just to fire and idle for about 10 or so seconds. With spout connected no spark while turning motor over at the plugs. I still have spark coming from coil with it connected and disconnected.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Computer is faulty then

Try: https://www.car-part.com/

Ford Ranger
Computer Box Engine
USA
Sort by distance
Your Zipcode
Search

New window opens
Select what you have vehicle wise
AT automatic
MT manual
Search

kyle1468

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay thank you very much I will respond back when I put in new computer thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals