• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Edelbrock Performer heads

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Someone school me on them. Found some local for a fair deal with comp 1.7 roller rockers. They are the 1.9 valve, pedestal mount. They’d be going on an explorer motor with a comp xe258. I believe they have the factory springs still. Supposedly good for .575 lift but I have read they are & they aren’t. Cheap insurance I guess to replace them. Can factory stamped rockers be ran? Currently running 3 bar gt40 with Alex parts springs. Truck shifts around 5500.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Someone school me on them. Found some local for a fair deal with comp 1.7 roller rockers. They are the 1.9 valve, pedestal mount. They’d be going on an explorer motor with a comp xe258. I believe they have the factory springs still. Supposedly good for .575 lift but I have read they are & they aren’t. Cheap insurance I guess to replace them. Can factory stamped rockers be ran? Currently running 3 bar gt40 with Alex parts springs. Truck shifts around 5500.
Can't really comment on quality of the heads, but according to the mustang forums, ANY aluminum is better than all factory iron heads. I think that's a load of crap and dependany on what the owner wants, but I'm also no expert.

From what I've read about most of the cheaper aluminum heads, Edelbrock included, I would upgrade the springs.

There is a wide variety in roller rocker design, but based on my reading the stock valve covers won't fit the 1.7 rockers. The stock stamped valve covers don't fit roller rockers on a stock explorer head and cam. The cam you are looking at has more lift so will need an even taller valve cover to clear than the stock cam would.

Wait, I read that wrong. You were asking of stock stamped rockers could be run with that cam and heads. I have no idea, but I wouldn't be too surprised. Factory rockers were pedistal mount too and Edelbrock would probably have designed them to be compatible with factory rockers. I'd be interested in knowing for sure as well. If they can, you probably need to measure for custom pushrods. Well, you'll probably have to do that either way.

Honestly if they come with the Comp 1.7 roller rockers and they are in good shape, why not use them?

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I just was curious about the stock rockers as I’m not really looking for the extra lift out of the 1.7’s. I could also save a few bucks by not having to get taller covers. Not a deal breaker just an option. I had to run longer pushrods in my current setup so I was sure I’d have to measure.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'd bet the farm on the aftermarket heads being able to use the factory rockers and whatever else.. especially from a brand like edelbrock.

That being said.. I don't have a farm so 🤷‍♀️ perhaps give edelbrock a call or shoot them an email to confirm.. or.. find the page for those heads on their website or summit/jegs/speedway and read the description. It may not explicitly say that the heads are 100% compatible with stock parts.. but as long as the description doesn't say that they are NOT compatible with stock parts.. it would be safe to assume they are.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I just was curious about the stock rockers as I’m not really looking for the extra lift out of the 1.7’s.
Depending on which comp 1.7s they are, you can probably find someone here that would be interested in buying them. I've already got taller valve covers, but my 1.7s are a cheap off brand. I have considered getting a better used set to replace them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals