• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR delete

McM81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I'm running an 88 2.9l with the eec, i'm doing the delete, so on the exhaust manifold there is a hole what size is that a plug and is it pipe thread. also that hole being open like that does it have an affect on the idle or overall performance? thanks:icon_welder:

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Having a hole in your exhaust manifold will cook your valves on that side , do not run the truck with the hole open .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1988 2.9l didn't have EGR system, I think only '86/'87 did

EGR system on a computer controlled engine actually gives you better power, if computer is programmed for EGR, because spark can be less advanced under acceleration.
Without EGR engine will most likely ping/knock on regular gasoline during hard acceleration, if computer was setup for EGR.

Yes, threaded hole but threads are often rusted out

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm running an 88 2.9l with the eec, i'm doing the delete, so on the exhaust manifold there is a hole what size is that a plug and is it pipe thread. also that hole being open like that does it have an affect on the idle or overall performance? thanks:icon_welder:
I think this post is missing a lot of words. Go find my sister, she lives in CO Springs, she can teach you to use complete sentences.

Kellogg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A little late but I did an egr delete on my 86 2.9 last week. the egr tube goes to a fitting, and that fitting is what screws into the manifold, the tube side of the fitting I believe is a M25x1.5, but could be a M26, but I ended up taking the fitting out because I couldn't find a cap even close to a M25, so I found that the other side, (manifold side of the fitting) is a M22x1.5, I bought a plug off Amazon for $8 and some copper crush washers and called it done. Manifold threads will have some rust and carbon build up so the plug might not want to go in at first. If you try to clean or tap the threads try to avoid gettin debris down into your exhaust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals