• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR Position Sensor really neccessary? could really use some help! thanks

94EXPLODER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 150k
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 4.0 Explorer.....i noticed that the EGR position sensor was broken(the 2 little pipe connections that connect to the vacuum hoses were corroded away i think) i took off that sensor...it ran fine just the way it was before i did that but when you gave it gas the rpms stay up if you let off the gas...so i unplugged the circular thing towards the front top of the intake manifold....im not sure what it is it has a soleniod and looks lil a lil starter..if that helps lol....now that both of those are not plugged in the truck runs great..smoother then before but the idle is at about 400-500 and lower if the temp is colder outside...i was wondering if that EGR position sensor has a big deal of importance if its not there because both of the vacuum lines that go into it blow air...and is there a remedy the throttle stickin only when that one thing is plugged in???
greatly appreciate any help!
nick

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
4-500 RPM is too low and you'll probably soon discover the truck will want to stall when coming to a stop. it sounds like you unplugged the idle control solenoid...this is the mechanical part that allows your computer to control the engines idle speed (and thus, keep it from stalling).

the EGR system is needed for the engine to run properly (the computer is programmed to compensate for the EGRs input. without it, the engine receives improper trim). on top of that, i non-functioning EGR will decrease mileage and power, increase emissions, and could cause the motor to detonate (which causes internal damage).

in other words, please fix it right.

94EXPLODER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 150k
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, i got it all fixed today...works and runs great now...thanks for the help tho appreciate it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals