• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric fan conversion

stanley24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can someone help me find the links to the electric fan conversion. I want to do one on my 2000 Ranger 4.0

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Bookmark this page: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

Open the Cooling & Heating section for the E-fan info

At the top of each page on the forum, in the black bar under the Banner is a link to "How to Tech" click on it to take you to the same area

STL_Ryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Do you have AC on your truck? I have done several efan conversions and have found ways to simplify these installs.

If you want to go with a two speed setup, grab a volvo relay fan controller at any salvage yard. All they are is two relays built into one housing, with a high amp rating. This will simplify wiring and prevent that rats nest wiring look.

Additionally, consider a BMW dual temperature switch for two speed setups. They make adapter that lets you put a temperature sensor into your top radiator hose. There are other ways to control fans, such as temperature probes that you stick in the radiator fins or slip into the top radiator hose. I have tried these, but always end up tossing them. The radiator hose adapters tend to come in off sizes, but the BMW dual temp switch is beefy. This means you can easily drill out the current threaded hole in the adapter and tap it for the BMW switch.

To trigger the fan(s) to come on with your AC, you do not need to add an additional relay. Most people running a dual fan setup use three relays: one for high, one for low and then one for AC. This is unnecessary and just adds to that rats nest look. Decide if you want the AC to trigger high or low speed and then tie the AC clutch trigger wire to the relay, for whichever speed you have chosen. The trick here is to use a diode between the AC clutch wire and the relay. This will prevent voltage from back feeding to the AC clutch and lets you use multiple triggers on a single relay.

A single fan, single speed setup can be run with a single relay, which you can easily snag out of a salvage yard. Run your temperature switch or fan controller to the relays trigger pin. Then you can add in the AC clutch trigger, with diode.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals