• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine bogging down at freeway speeds with A/C running

Three6ohchris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
So, I tried to search for this, but couldn't find anything about it. I bought a 2000 XLT, 3.0 6 cyl a few weeks ago, and it's been some trouble. Already had to put in a new alternator, new tires, and fix some wiring in the tail light that the guy who owned it before me screwed up. Anyway, while driving home after work, in traffic, I have been running my A/C. It blows pretty cold most of the time, but sometimes it does seem to get warmer, especially when I accelerate (but it's not horrible). Now, while I'm idling or sitting in traffic, everything seems fine. When traffic clears and I accelerate it's a whole other story. I have a hard time getting up to speed, and I have a very obvious loss of power. I usually just turn my A/C off when I start to get up to freeway speeds, otherwise it just feels like I'm losing all my power and really have to get into the pedal to keep up.
I honestly don't know if it's the spark plugs/wires, my compressor, or something else. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Could be fuel filter is getting clogged up, they should be changed every 5 years in any case.
You first notice limited fuel flow at higher speed, higher fuel demand.
Not hard to do, it is in the frame rail under drivers seat area.

Could be air filter or air inlet tubes are restricted.

Could be exhaust system is restricted, Cats/Mufflers do wear out and pieces rust and break off inside, blocking flow.

An Engine is an air pump, if you restrict air IN it loses power and if you restrict air OUT it loses power.
A $25 vacuum gauge is a good tool to have, it can tell you alot about engine condition, any gasoline engine.
Good read here on tests: http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

And the AC getting warmer on acceleration could be Vacuum issue as well, the vents in the dash are controlled by vacuum, if engine vacuum is low to begin with, then you may notice vent changes on acceleration, when vacuum normally drops very low.

Three6ohchris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Could be fuel filter is getting clogged up, they should be changed every 5 years in any case.
You first notice limited fuel flow at higher speed, higher fuel demand.
Not hard to do, it is in the frame rail under drivers seat area.

Could be air filter or air inlet tubes are restricted.

Could be exhaust system is restricted, Cats/Mufflers do wear out and pieces rust and break off inside, blocking flow.

An Engine is an air pump, if you restrict air IN it loses power and if you restrict air OUT it loses power.
A $25 vacuum gauge is a good tool to have, it can tell you alot about engine condition, any gasoline engine.
Good read here on tests: http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

And the AC getting warmer on acceleration could be Vacuum issue as well, the vents in the dash are controlled by vacuum, if engine vacuum is low to begin with, then you may notice vent changes on acceleration, when vacuum normally drops very low.
Thank you. This is a good place to start. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals