• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust plug

komoto123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
So i recently took off the air pump from my 2.8 v6, along with it the tubing that traveled to the exhaust manifolds. Problem is i now have two holes. What do you guys recommend? Plugging or Buying new headers.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
If you haven't done it, duraspark your truck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

komoto123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
I plan on doing the duraspark but no part of the duraspark conversion says anything about the holes in my exhaust manifold. Tech library only gives aftermarket headers, not anything on stock mani.

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
I've welded cast iron before, if you don't want it to crack preheat on a grill to at least 300*, weld with SS rod, and then leave it on the grill to cool, slowly over a couple hours.

komoto123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks simpler=better i will think about that

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The holes in the exhaust manifolds should be threaded?
Just get plugs for them.

O2 sensor was only used for EFI or some "Smart Carburetors", it would be needed by both.
It is not an "emissions" part, it is a tuning part.
It would be a threaded hole so if you are going to a manual carb then just thread in a plug

komoto123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
The holes are not threaded in mine. The air pump pipe just popped out. Perhaps they have rusted smooth i do not know. It is a 25+ year old truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have seen the metal expansion plugs(freeze plugs) used to close off those types of holes.

komoto123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
I am not sure how a freeze plug would work as they pop out from pressure. Unless i was to pop them in from the inside but that is nearly impossible.

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
my old 84 had the the air pump deleted, and all the pipeing, what the guy I got the truck from did, was JB weld an old spark plug into the holes, seemed to hold up well without any leak's for the time I had the truck, just another option

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The holes aren't threaded. What I did was keep the piping on them just cripped and bent the end over a few times and never had a problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

komoto123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
I can't just bend it over. But regardless thanks for the idea, i never thought of doing it that way.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am not sure how a freeze plug would work as they pop out from pressure. Unless i was to pop them in from the inside but that is nearly impossible.
It would work fine, cooling systems average 12-18psi of pressure and expansion plugs work fine.

Non-turbo exhaust systems should never run with that much internal pressure, stock manifolds rarely get above 10psi, headers 5psi.
In a perfect exhaust design the pressure at each exhaust port should be slightly less than outside air pressure, this pulls exhaust out of cylinder faster, but that would be perfect and it isn't a perfect world, lol.

When you run from a smaller diameter pipe to a larger diameter pipe(collector) you increase velocity and reduce pressure.
So when the exhaust pulse from one cylinder hits the collector its velocity increases and pressure drops, this pulls pressure from the other cylinders pipes, and keeps over all pressure down.

The common myth about engines "needing" back pressure came from people putting in larger diameter exhaust pipe manifolds and losing power, so they think "I made the flow too good so engine must need back-pressure to get more power"
But what they had really done was to increase the back-pressure by reducing the velocity with the larger pipes.

Tulsa Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1984 2.8 manifold plugs - air pump lines rusted off

I had the mac truck sound effects when the metal lines from the air pump rusted thru and broke off.

I went to the salvage yard with one end of the broken tube and found a bolt that was just small enough and yet large enough to almost thread it in.

I picked up some high temp JB weld putty and puttied up the bolt and threaded it into the exhaust manifold. Not pretty, but effective. Gas mileage on my 84 has always been lacking. My regular driver was a Civic Si hatchback.

So no truck does close to the Honda.

Hope this helps.

Tulsa Ranger

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals