• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer interior part swap question

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hello so I have a 1999 ranger xl i'm doing a v8 swap to and i have a 1999 explorer Eddie bauer as a donor vehicle. I have to switch the column for the PATS and I was wanting to keep the radio controls, auto climate control and use the cruise control because my truck dos not have cruise. I found a right up on the climate control panel swap but not how to wire it to the column would i just have to take the harness from the explorer and put it in to the ranger at that point would it just be plug and play? for the radio control Im putting in a aftermarket head unit I got a adapter for the head unit for steering wheel controls in hopes of making the swap easier has anyone tried that yet? The cruise Im not sure on is it just pull the harness and splice in to a power source?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Andrew:

My solution was to just swap the Ranger dash for the Explorer one. (The dashes are same width; difference is in the door panels. Then all the wires are in right place.

And you can install the fancier Explorer mirrors with their courtesy lights, etc should you wish.

I purchased the wiring manuals for both Ranger and Explorer, but after reviewing them, came to conclusion that swapping dash (its only held in by about 7 bolts, was the easier solution).

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you Don was thinking of that as an option but you just convinced me to do it that way. My 1999 truck is super base model fanciest thing it has is a/c one more question for you is when i swap the steering column will i have to tap into a key on power for the buttons on the wheel or does it get that for another harness already plugged into the column? Thank you again.

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I hit a brick wall on this swap hopping for some help I got the dash swapped in that was simple. but what has me confused now is that I don"t have turn signal any more or 4 way flashers on cluster or on the out side. brake lights don't work either or any of the steering wheel controls also my blower motor isn't blowing anymore. also my right rear park light is stuck on when battery is attached. so I guess Is the some thing need to re pin or is there some thing stupid i'm missing any help is appreciated also as far as I can tell all grounds and plugs are attached accept for one that's on the passenger side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals