• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extreme vibration at 45-50 mph? Video...

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey fellas.... Back at with another issue on this 88 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9. so when I get it to about 45-50 mph it starts shaking like crazy in the front end. Seems to be on the drivers side. Sorry if this is obvious is the video. Im a newb with all this. Thanks again for all the help I've already received. You all are awesome! Anyway... Let me know what you think...
@PetroleumJunkie412
@Bird76Mojo
@Paulos

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@PetroleumJunkie412
I understand that the tires could be out of balance. I provided the video to see if anyone could see anything wrong in the video...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Stopped watching when you called it a POS. ?

Just watched it.

That ball joint is an accident waiting to happen. It's going to break.

Your wheel bearings look terrible. Check for play in the rotor, and re-pack them with a good quality grease. Schaefers molly is my favorite, but any molly grease will do. Make sure to look at the tech section on torque procedure. Overtorquing a Dana 28/35 wheel bearing will destroy it instantly.

Check your carrier bearing and u joints.

You live in a sandy area. That plays hell on anything that moves. Grease everything.

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
@PetroleumJunkie412
Little more detail. This is all new to me. I'm trying to learn here. I'm way more mechanical oriented when Im working on a engine or transmission. But this is all new to me. Here is another video that may help. Do you think the shaking is from the ball joint?? That's what I'm trying to figure out... Thanks again for the help. And btw.... Just because I call her a POS... Shit box etc... Doesn't mean I don't love her. Hence me trying to get her going. Guess I should call the previous owners POS! ?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

CzyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I've had alot of haters on this truck but I'm bound to get her back to full duty!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That tie rod will definitely cause a shake. You're lucky it hasn't come apart already.

I would also pull the rotors and inspect the bearings close... the grease I see looks pretty bad. Wouldn't surprise me if the bearings were cooked. I would also get a set of locking hubs and just call it a day.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
That's the life with these old trucks. They're getting to be senior citizens now. Your truck just seems like it's been neglected over time, which is very common.

That tie rod end is an accident waiting to happen. It could kill you or anyone else at the drop of a hat. Get yourself a new one ASAP, and when removing the old one, mark the threaded portion with duct tape, or a paint marker, etc.. That way you can thread the new one on to the same spot and it won't affect your toe-in/toe-out as badly. Many people skip an alignment after replacing them if the truck doesn't seem to need it, but an alignment is recommended in most circumstances.

As for your wheel bearing, it looks shot as well. It's been a looooong time since I tore in to the front of a 4x4 Ranger from that era. I'm not sure if some of the parts in front of that bearing are part of your 4x4 hubs or not. Do you have auto-locking hubs, or the type you have to turn the knob to engage the 4x4??

If you remove the brake caliper, you'll be able to see how much play is in the wheel bearings. The brake caliper is essentially holding it all steady. Just be careful when removing the brake caliper, because you can easily ruin an old rubber brake hose by bending it too much, and NEVER let the brake caliper hang by the hose. Use some wire to tie the brake caliper and hang it by the wire.. Then you can try to wiggle the rotor.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yes! Change the wheel bearings! Also, the 4x4's had some pathetically small roller bearings on the drive shaft (behind the wheel bearings). While I was changing my wheel bearings, I noticed one of my 4x4 bearings had totally exploded. With your grease in the poor shape it's in, I'd at least look at those bearings. There's no telling what you'll find!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals