• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Feedback carb reuse

Dennis Hudson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Just in the process of deleting the emissions stuff on old 83 2.3 Ford Ranger . Is it possible to simply use the feedback carb without the feedback inputs, or do l need to buy a replacement. Suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You want a new(or used) adjustable carburetor

I did see some articles/posts about drilling out the idler jets but couldn't find them and I don't think it worked all that well in the end :)

Dennis Hudson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Could I use a Carter YF . I know they are made for 240 250 300 6cyl. Any suggestions on what to use that's not too expensive

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
YF's were good carburetors but one from a 300 might prove bigger than you want but I'd try one. If you do use one I assume you'll rebuild it first, the base plate screws were prone to loosening up and causing vacuum leaks so I used to put shake proof washers on them with a drop of blue Locktite on the threads of the screws. Don't use red Locktite if you ever want to take it apart again.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Assuming there's an adapter still available, my first choice would be a Weber progressive (or the Holley equivalent).

Dennis Hudson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking at a Webber 32/36 Dfev . Would this be a suitable candidate. ? Would it need rejetting for the 2.3 lima

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have no long term feedback yet but I put a 32/32 on my 87 mazda b2600. That was the last year of carb for that engine and the spaghetti nest of vacuum hoses. It actually fires up and idles and drives around the yard just fine. I have to insure it be for I know how it does. It was a pretty simple install and nothing done to the jets. I bought it for my specific engine on eBay after researching the Webber site.

Dennis Hudson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, l really appreciate everyone's help in this. There's no substitute for experience.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I'd just try the Carter from an older 240-300 first. I'm pretty sure they use the same part # carb for your Ranger and say an '85 F150 with feedback, so an older non-feedback carb should run just fine and they're everywhere. I used a car D-port head, Essy intake and ran an Autolite 2100 2bbl carb. To run a Weber you'd need a homemade 1bbl to 2bbl adapter or an aftermarket intake. Cannon used to make one for the round port Ranger head.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Hey Dennis. I saw you were running a Weber carb. Did you end up using the 32/36? Have you noticed any tip-in type issues? I swapped to a Holley 5200 which is based on that carb and have had some tuning issues. I think it's directly related to my PCV system as symptoms really improved when I removed the PCV. I swapped the aftermarket PCV valve for a Motorcraft one and things improved, but are not perfect. I'm wondering if a PCV valve from a Pinto or something that was factory equipped with a 5200 would be better. Also, would you be able to share what you're using for jets and air correctors in your Weber?

Dennis Hudson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes the 32/36 is really a great choice for my 2.3 lima. Tuning is easy if you follow the instructions. . I didnt need any rejetting, just straight out of the box. If you have a lima 2.3, I ran the crankcase oil separator into a pcv valve, then into a catch can, then into the vacuum port on the carb manifold adaptor. Seems to be running really well. Good luck with your project, hey if I can do it, and I'm no mechanic, anyone can

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals